New firmware for AVM Fritz!Box Fon

Old January 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default New firmware for AVM Fritz!Box Fon

For anyone using the AVM Fritz!Box Fon, there is now a firmware update
available which introduces many new features, one of the main ones being
the ability to disable the internal ADSL modem and use an external cable
modem, for example. Also there are a lot more configurable features in the
telephony section and most usefully the calls list doesn't get erased if
you reboot..!

For more info click on the Firmware Update button under the System tab, or
go he

http://www.avm.de/en/fritz_box_fon_firmware/

Note this update is for the non-wireless version only.

Ivor

Old January 28th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:52:41 -0000, Ivor Jones
wrote:

the ability to disable the internal ADSL modem and use an external cable
modem, for example.

Hi Ivor

Apart from those tied to a cable modem, is there any other reason why this
feature might be useful?
Is the Fritz modem in some way inferior?

The reason I ask is that I am having problems with my existing modem
regularly dropping the connection and needing to be rebooted. I was
thinking of trying my FritzBox again (you may remember my earlier posts
when I couldn't get rid of an echo, an so abandoned the FritzBox).
However, as it is the modem function that I need to replace, I thought it
appropriate to clarify this point with you before potentially wasting a
lot of time setting it up.

Alan.
Old January 29th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

news[email protected]
wrote:

the ability to disable the internal ADSL modem and use
an external cable modem, for example.

Hi Ivor

Apart from those tied to a cable modem, is there any
other reason why this feature might be useful?
Is the Fritz modem in some way inferior?

No, it's fine. It's just that the ATA only version isn't sold in the UK at
present, at least not by Sipgate.

The reason I ask is that I am having problems with my
existing modem regularly dropping the connection and
needing to be rebooted. I was thinking of trying my
FritzBox again (you may remember my earlier posts when I
couldn't get rid of an echo, an so abandoned the
FritzBox). However, as it is the modem function that I
need to replace, I thought it appropriate to clarify this
point with you before potentially wasting a lot of time
setting it up.

I still wonder where you got this echo from, I never had it at all..! Why
don't you try the new firmware anyway, maybe it might have fixed the
problem for you..? It's worth the 5 minutes it takes to download and
install, anyway..! You get some more configurable options on the menus as
well, there's also a setup wizard now which will probably be of help to
many people.

Ivor

Old January 30th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:22:03 -0000, Ivor Jones
wrote:

I still wonder where you got this echo from, I never had it at all..! Why
don't you try the new firmware anyway, maybe it might have fixed the
problem for you..? It's worth the 5 minutes it takes to download and
install, anyway..! You get some more configurable options on the menus as
well, there's also a setup wizard now which will probably be of help to
many people.

Precisely my own thought... just wanted to check out the other point first.
If I get time, I'll try it this weekend.

Thanks muchly Ivor.

Regards

Alan.
Old January 30th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:49:38 +0100, Philippe Deleye
wrote:

"Alan Foster" schreef in bericht
news[email protected]

The reason I ask is that I am having problems with my existing modem
regularly dropping the connection and needing to be rebooted. I was
thinking of trying my FritzBox again (you may remember my earlier posts
when I couldn't get rid of an echo, an so abandoned the FritzBox).

The internal ADSL modem in the Fritz!Box is not inferior at all
If you have a working Fritz!Box you can just use it as a modem + router
(even in case you prefer not to use the VOIP part)
However do not recognise your echo problem. It's working fine here
(Belgium)
I have 10 Voice accounts registered, I can easely have 2-3 phone calls
simultaneously (my ADSL line is 4200 up, 438 down) with no noticable
quality
loss

Philippe
Belgium

Thanks Philippe. The information is appreciated.

Old February 28th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hi,

If you need technical help please call me. We are the official
distributors for all AVM products in the UK so we know these boxes
inside out.
regards,

charles
www.advancedts.com

Old March 1st 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

If you need technical help please call me. We are the
official distributors for all AVM products in the UK so
we know these boxes inside out.
regards,

charles
www.advancedts.com

I got mine (Fritz!Box Fon, not the wireless version) direct from Sipgate,
but if you know the unit, can you tell me how I go about altering the DTMF
TX method..? On the Sipura SPA-2000 I have it's easy, but I can't see a
menu option for it on the Fritz!Box. Also how would I set a Sipura-style
dial plan..?

All in all I find the Fritz!Box an excellent piece of kit and extremely
reliable, but I miss some of the Sipura style config options..!

Ivor