Dumb question about IP phones...

Old January 30th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

Default Dumb question about IP phones...

We're about to start an evaluation of Swyx in preparation for move to a new
office. So to have a look around, we need a few IP telephones. There are
lots out there :-)

But the thing that confuses me is that the phones appear to have a fixed set
of features on the buttons. I kind of expected the keys on an IP phone to be
entirely programmable and defined on the VOIP PBX, i.e. by Swyx itself.

For example:

http://www.best4systems.co.uk/produc...ID=5431&CtgID=

This talks about "8 function keys: Hold, Superkey for feature access,
Message, Speaker, Microphone, Transfer/Conference, shift, Redial,Cancel".

I can understand different phones having extra features like handsfree,
two-port Ethernet, bigger displays, colour displays but not fixed feature
keys.

Also, what is multiple lines all about? I kind of expected that if you put
somebody on hold, then that's a feature of the PBX.

Any pearls of wisdon appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Old January 30th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Rob Nicholson wrote:
[...]

Hi,

have a look at Snom phones:

www.snom.com

There are 12 buttons on the 320 & 360 that can be assigned to pretty
much anything, you can assign custom URLs on a webserver that could be
scripts to do anything you want them to. Also with the latest firmware
version you can also assign different functions (again, including URLs)
to all the normal keys like hold, transfer etc...

I don't know how well the Snom phones would work with Swyx, I'm aware
*of* the Sywx system but I've no idea what standards it uses. I'm just
assuming it uses SIP.
Old January 30th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

I don't know how well the Snom phones would work with Swyx, I'm aware *of*
the Sywx system but I've no idea what standards it uses. I'm just
assuming it uses SIP.

Yes it can use SIP but that's as much as I know :-) Hence the reason for the
trial. We've decided it's the best way to learn about it all.

Thanks, Rob.

Old January 30th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
We're about to start an evaluation of Swyx in preparation for move to a

new
office. So to have a look around, we need a few IP telephones. There are
lots out there :-)

But the thing that confuses me is that the phones appear to have a fixed

set
of features on the buttons. I kind of expected the keys on an IP phone to

be
entirely programmable and defined on the VOIP PBX, i.e. by Swyx itself.

For example:

http://www.best4systems.co.uk/produc...ID=5431&CtgID=

This is not a SIP complient phone, you can get a 5220 dual boot that will
work with a sip system but dont expec one at this price

This talks about "8 function keys: Hold, Superkey for feature access,
Message, Speaker, Microphone, Transfer/Conference, shift, Redial,Cancel".

I can understand different phones having extra features like handsfree,
two-port Ethernet, bigger displays, colour displays but not fixed feature
keys.

All sets of this level have fixed feature keys, and a set of definable keys
that are defined set by set

Also, what is multiple lines all about? I kind of expected that if you put
somebody on hold, then that's a feature of the PBX.

Multiple lines are what they say they are multiple lines, ie yo phone can
have more than one line

Any pearls of wisdon appreciated.

Be careful
for straight SIP look at Snom and aastra or if n a budget the Grandstream
GX2000 gets good reviews
avoid the sipura 841 has very poor sound quality.

Ian Plain
www.cyber-cottage.co.uk

Old January 31st 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

Multiple lines are what they say they are multiple lines, ie yo phone can
have more than one line

But shirley, this is the whole point of VOIP - its going through single
Ethernet connection. On a software PBX, if line 200 and line 210 is
associated with the same phone is a feature of the PBX, not the phone?

See, I'm confused :-)

Be careful
for straight SIP look at Snom and aastra or if n a budget the Grandstream
GX2000 gets good reviews
avoid the sipura 841 has very poor sound quality.

What about the CISCO IP phones?

Thanks, Rob.

Old January 31st 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Rob Nicholson wrote:
Multiple lines are what they say they are multiple lines, ie yo phone can
have more than one line

But shirley, this is the whole point of VOIP - its going through single
Ethernet connection. On a software PBX, if line 200 and line 210 is
associated with the same phone is a feature of the PBX, not the phone?

See, I'm confused :-)

You're absolutely right, I always assumed that the multiple lines
functionality was only really useful if you were using the IP phone in
an environment where there is no local PBX. (a home user).
Old January 31st 06, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Stirling

Rob Nicholson wrote:
We're about to start an evaluation of Swyx in preparation for move to a new
office. So to have a look around, we need a few IP telephones. There are
lots out there :-)

For backup internet connectivity, I noticed that satellite has come down
quite a lot.

You're looking at around 1000 quid down, then 30 quid a month or so, for
a package with no included data allowance, and 0.5p/Mb.
This is quite reasonable, if the VOIP system is going to be important to
your buisness.

Admittedly, this will make phone calls have small delays when you switch
to them, but better than no phones.
Old January 31st 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

You're absolutely right, I always assumed that the multiple lines
functionality was only really useful if you were using the IP phone in an
environment where there is no local PBX. (a home user).

Ahh that would make sense.

Thanks, Rob.

Old January 31st 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Ian Stirling wrote:

Rob Nicholson wrote:
We're about to start an evaluation of Swyx in preparation for move to a
new office. So to have a look around, we need a few IP telephones. There
are lots out there :-)

For backup internet connectivity, I noticed that satellite has come down
quite a lot.

Yeah, especially Aramiska ;-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:57:49 up 5 days, 23:15, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.18, 0.16

Old January 31st 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Rob Nicholson wrote:

You're absolutely right, I always assumed that the multiple lines
functionality was only really useful if you were using the IP phone in an
environment where there is no local PBX. (a home user).

Ahh that would make sense.

Even in an environment with a PBX, it is handy to be able to put someone on
hold and make another call whilst they are on hold.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:58:50 up 5 days, 23:16, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.15, 0.15