Draytek PSTN Pass Through (splitter?)

Old January 31st 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

Default Draytek PSTN Pass Through (splitter?)

Hey Guys

I've convinced myself that a Draytek 2800VG will do nicely. However, I
really need PSTN pass through, as I do not want to have 2 separate phones
around the house. Is there a device that can plug between the phone, the
PSTN and the router, that will allow me to select which line to activate and
will ring on incoming from either? I know I could get a 2800G and a Sipura
but since the 2800 supports more than one SIP account, it seems the way to
go for cost minimising.

Thanks

Rgds

Stuart

Old January 31st 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Mr Flipflops wrote:
Hey Guys

I've convinced myself that a Draytek 2800VG will do nicely. However, I
really need PSTN pass through, as I do not want to have 2 separate phones
around the house. Is there a device that can plug between the phone, the
PSTN and the router, that will allow me to select which line to activate and
will ring on incoming from either? I know I could get a 2800G and a Sipura
but since the 2800 supports more than one SIP account, it seems the way to
go for cost minimising.

Why not consider the Zyxel 2602HWL in that case, much the same
security and other facilities and a POTS line passthrough (hence the
L on the end of the model).

--
Chris Green

Old January 31st 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

wrote in message ...
Mr Flipflops wrote:
Hey Guys

I've convinced myself that a Draytek 2800VG will do nicely. However, I
really need PSTN pass through, as I do not want to have 2 separate phones
around the house. Is there a device that can plug between the phone, the
PSTN and the router, that will allow me to select which line to activate
and
will ring on incoming from either? I know I could get a 2800G and a
Sipura
but since the 2800 supports more than one SIP account, it seems the way
go for cost minimising.

Why not consider the Zyxel 2602HWL in that case, much the same
security and other facilities and a POTS line passthrough (hence the
L on the end of the model).

VPN...plus, that model is lifeline only as far as I can see, so the power
would have to be off before it would work.

Old January 31st 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Mr Flipflops wrote:
wrote in message ...
Mr Flipflops wrote:
Hey Guys

I've convinced myself that a Draytek 2800VG will do nicely. However, I
really need PSTN pass through, as I do not want to have 2 separate phones
around the house. Is there a device that can plug between the phone, the
PSTN and the router, that will allow me to select which line to activate
and
will ring on incoming from either? I know I could get a 2800G and a
Sipura
but since the 2800 supports more than one SIP account, it seems the way
go for cost minimising.

Why not consider the Zyxel 2602HWL in that case, much the same
security and other facilities and a POTS line passthrough (hence the
L on the end of the model).

VPN...plus, that model is lifeline only as far as I can see, so the power
would have to be off before it would work.

2602 has 20 VPNs so that isn't an issue. I'm not sure about the use
of the POTS line when it's powered up. Ask about
it.

--
Chris Green

Old January 31st 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

[...]

MMmmmm.. Looks like I can dial a prefix to get PSTN... this could be it....

Old February 1st 06, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

MMmmmm.. Looks like I can dial a prefix to get PSTN... this could be it....

Yep, you can choose say 9 to dial via PSTN.
You can also get both VoIP lines to ring one phone, the Draytek can't do
that, at least not yet, :-(
Zyxel works with sipdiscount, Draytek doesn't :-(
Regards,
Martin

Old February 1st 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Mr Flipflops wrote:
Hey Guys

I've convinced myself that a Draytek 2800VG will do nicely. However, I
really need PSTN pass through, as I do not want to have 2 separate phones
around the house. Is there a device that can plug between the phone, the
PSTN and the router, that will allow me to select which line to activate and
will ring on incoming from either? I know I could get a 2800G and a Sipura
but since the 2800 supports more than one SIP account, it seems the way to
go for cost minimising.

Thanks

Rgds

Stuart

An Intertex router would also do what you want. The GW models have both
an FXS & an FXO port. You normally setup a prefix (like ##) to dial
before a number you want to go to the PSTN line. Calls coming in on
either VoIP or PSTN ring the same phone. I currently have an IX67
working well with my NTL broadband/phoneline at home in this
configuration. The IX66 is the one you want for an ADSL line.
Old February 1st 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

"Martin²" wrote in message
MMmmmm.. Looks like I can dial a prefix to get PSTN... this could be
it....

Yep, you can choose say 9 to dial via PSTN.
You can also get both VoIP lines to ring one phone, the Draytek can't do
that, at least not yet, :-(
Zyxel works with sipdiscount, Draytek doesn't :-(
Regards,
Martin

Just as well I ordered the Zyxel, cos I'm using sipdiscount at the moment on
the Zoom. ;-).

Old February 2nd 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

"Martin²" wrote in message
MMmmmm.. Looks like I can dial a prefix to get PSTN... this could be
it....

Yep, you can choose say 9 to dial via PSTN.
You can also get both VoIP lines to ring one phone, the Draytek can't do
that, at least not yet, :-(
Zyxel works with sipdiscount, Draytek doesn't :-(
Regards,
Martin

Martin

What are your settings for sipdiscount? I can't get it to work.

Old February 2nd 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

"Martin²" wrote in message
MMmmmm.. Looks like I can dial a prefix to get PSTN... this could be
it....

Yep, you can choose say 9 to dial via PSTN.
You can also get both VoIP lines to ring one phone, the Draytek can't do
that, at least not yet, :-(
Zyxel works with sipdiscount, Draytek doesn't :-(
Regards,
Martin

Martin

What are your settings for sipdiscount? I can't get it to work.

Scratch that. I got it to work, and *then*... after trying it out and
someone had answered the phone at the other end the entire router rebooted
itself. Tried again and it worked. So, stability has a ? over it already,
although I've since upgraded to the latest firmware version.

BTW, Caller ID does not seem to work for incoming PSTN calls... anybody else
have this?