Sipgate trouble.

Old February 1st 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Default Sipgate trouble.

Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from a BT landline, I
get a recorded message saying that it has not been possible to connect
your call.

Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
Old February 1st 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
|| Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from a BT
|| landline, I get a recorded message saying that it has not been
|| possible to connect your call.
|| Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.
|| Is anybody else experiencing this?

I had this issue a short while ago, although it was ultimately Orange that I
experience the problem with. It had, however started with BT, who fixed it
within a couple of days, then it seemed to cascade to the other providers.
Orange had to contact NTL to fix it!

One thing that was perplexing - when BT wasn't working, I could still dial
1899+Sipgate No & get through, using the same BT line that refused without
the 1899 prefix.

All mine seem OK from BT ATM.

Old February 1st 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Jono wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
|| Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from a BT
|| landline, I get a recorded message saying that it has not been
|| possible to connect your call.
|| Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.
|| Is anybody else experiencing this?

I had this issue a short while ago, although it was ultimately Orange that I
experience the problem with. It had, however started with BT, who fixed it
within a couple of days, then it seemed to cascade to the other providers.
Orange had to contact NTL to fix it!

One thing that was perplexing - when BT wasn't working, I could still dial
1899+Sipgate No & get through, using the same BT line that refused without
the 1899 prefix.

All mine seem OK from BT ATM.

Weird isn't it. It's started working again now.
Old February 2nd 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Doehead

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in message
Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from a BT landline, I
get a recorded message saying that it has not been possible to connect
your call.

Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

We had sipgate problems for some time last night. Someone attempting to call
us from their NTL line made our phone ring, but when we picked up - silence.
It continued to ring at their end apparently.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Doehead" wrote in message

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from
a BT landline, I get a recorded message saying that it
has not been possible to connect your call.

Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

We had sipgate problems for some time last night. Someone
attempting to call us from their NTL line made our phone
ring, but when we picked up - silence. It continued to
ring at their end apparently.

This is a common problem and not just with Sipgate. If you wait for 5
seconds or so the call does usually get connected.

Ivor

Old February 2nd 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:47:20 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Doehead" wrote in message

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Calling one (and only one) of our sipgate numbers from
a BT landline, I get a recorded message saying that it
has not been possible to connect your call.

Calling from my 3 phone, works fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

We had sipgate problems for some time last night. Someone
attempting to call us from their NTL line made our phone
ring, but when we picked up - silence. It continued to
ring at their end apparently.

This is a common problem and not just with Sipgate.

Really well it don't occur with Vonage.freetalk or voipcheap mind you
they are decent voip providers .

This sometimes happens to me with Voipcheap, and with Sipgate, and this
is usually from an NTL line, but most of my calls come from NTL lines
anyway.

Old February 2nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Vodafone calls to one of my Sipgate numbers (01344) gives Special Service
Tone and "number not in use" message onscreen. They still bill me for the
call however! I've mostly not been able to make incoming calls to this
number from any provider, although Vodafone very occasionally relents and
gives me a stilted spoken message which I think does come from Sipgate.

Joe

Old February 2nd 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

Vodafone calls to one of my Sipgate numbers (01344) gives
Special Service Tone and "number not in use" message
onscreen. They still bill me for the call however! I've
mostly not been able to make incoming calls to this
number from any provider, although Vodafone very
occasionally relents and gives me a stilted spoken
message which I think does come from Sipgate.

Can you describe this message..?

Ivor

Old February 4th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

Vodafone calls to one of my Sipgate numbers (01344) gives
Special Service Tone and "number not in use" message
onscreen. They still bill me for the call however! I've
mostly not been able to make incoming calls to this
number from any provider, although Vodafone very
occasionally relents and gives me a stilted spoken
message which I think does come from Sipgate.

Can you describe this message..?

Haven't been able to get through in a while but IIRC it's a male voice
saying something like it has not been possible to connect your call. I
suspect actually it's the Sipgate default voicemail outgoing message but
never had voicemail switched on before so not sure.

This second Sipgate account is for one of my kids so they can have their own
"line" using USB phone and X-lite. Trouble is it's very hard to troubleshoot
because firstly have to climb all over piles of clothes and junk even to get
to that PC (you know what kids are like) and then the PC itself is also a
bit festering with MSN funny cursors and so on meaning memory is always
clogged. So haven't really got round to seeing if configuration is actually
right; don't want to bother SIpgate tech support until I've cleaned up my
X-lite act.

My main Sipgate account with SPA3000 is pretty stable now and works well so
it's a bit annoying that I'm having so much trouble with the kids one. The
fact that Vodafone mostly don't seem to like recognising the number isn't a
good sign though and I think there might be a real problem hiding in there
somewhere. Just one more thing to add to my get-round-to-fixing list!

Joe

Old February 4th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

Vodafone calls to one of my Sipgate numbers (01344)
gives Special Service Tone and "number not in use"
message onscreen. They still bill me for the call
however! I've mostly not been able to make incoming
calls to this number from any provider, although
Vodafone very occasionally relents and gives me a
stilted spoken message which I think does come from
Sipgate.

Can you describe this message..?

Haven't been able to get through in a while but IIRC it's
a male voice saying something like it has not been
possible to connect your call. I suspect actually it's
the Sipgate default voicemail outgoing message but never
had voicemail switched on before so not sure.

The default voicemail message is a male voice saying "The person you are
calling is not available" followed by the called number being read out, so
it could be that.

This second Sipgate account is for one of my kids so they
can have their own "line" using USB phone and X-lite.
Trouble is it's very hard to troubleshoot because firstly
have to climb all over piles of clothes and junk even to
get to that PC (you know what kids are like) and then the
PC itself is also a bit festering with MSN funny cursors
and so on meaning memory is always clogged. So haven't
really got round to seeing if configuration is actually
right; don't want to bother SIpgate tech support until
I've cleaned up my X-lite act.

I'd ditch X-Lite and just use an ATA with an ordinary phone, much more
stable and reliable IMHO. I assume their PC is connected to the router..?

My main Sipgate account with SPA3000 is pretty stable
now and works well so it's a bit annoying that I'm having
so much trouble with the kids one. The fact that Vodafone
mostly don't seem to like recognising the number isn't a
good sign though and I think there might be a real
problem hiding in there somewhere. Just one more thing to
add to my get-round-to-fixing list!

The problem with the SPA-3000 is that it only has one phone port. Use an
ATA with 2 ports or get a combined modem/router/ATA. I use the AVM
Fritz!Box Fon (available from Sipgate) which is available in wired or
wireless versions and has 2 phone ports but where it scores over all the
other devices I've seen is the capacity for up to 10 SIP accounts, which
can all be from different providers if you want..! It also doesn't seem to
need any ports forwarding for most applications. I only have one program
that wants port forwarding, even my Sipura 2000 plugged into the ethernet
hub works fine, giving me another 2 phone ports..!

Ivor