Silence detection

Old February 3rd 06, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Default Silence detection

Thus spaketh Martin:
Any reason why this came disabled by default on my SIP ATA and my SIP
handset?

e.g. does it cause problems for the person at the other end, by
causing the background noise to click in and out? Or does comfort
noise get generated at both ends in a convincing manner?

I have silence detection switched off, this therefore means the silence will
be transmitted, so will use up bandwidth, with silence detection enabled, it
may be uncomfortable for the other person hearing complete silence instead of
some background noise when your aren't speaking, also with it enabled you may
find it cuts the beginning of your speech off.

Old February 4th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 01:21:36 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh Martin:
Any reason why this came disabled by default on my SIP ATA and my SIP
handset?

e.g. does it cause problems for the person at the other end, by
causing the background noise to click in and out? Or does comfort
noise get generated at both ends in a convincing manner?

I have silence detection switched off, this therefore means the silence will
be transmitted, so will use up bandwidth, with silence detection enabled, it
may be uncomfortable for the other person hearing complete silence instead of
some background noise when your aren't speaking, also with it enabled you may
find it cuts the beginning of your speech off.

Isn't that what silence insertion descriptors are for? They generate
comfort noise at much lower bandwidth than transmitting the actual
low-level noise of the silence. Some codecs, at least, allow for this.