Sipgate registration times out at the same time every day

Old February 4th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Default Sipgate registration times out at the same time every day

Anyone else seen this?

Jan 30 03:15:13 NOTICE[6544]: chan_sip.c:5267 sip_reg_timeout: --
Registration for ' timed out, trying again (Attempt
#1)
Jan 31 03:15:56 NOTICE[6544]: chan_sip.c:5267 sip_reg_timeout: --
Registration for ' timed out, trying again (Attempt
#1)
Feb 2 03:12:43 NOTICE[6544]: chan_sip.c:5267 sip_reg_timeout: --
Registration for ' timed out, trying again (Attempt
#1)
Feb 3 03:11:29 NOTICE[6544]: chan_sip.c:5267 sip_reg_timeout: --
Registration for ' timed out, trying again (Attempt
#1)
Feb 4 03:11:34 NOTICE[6544]: chan_sip.c:5267 sip_reg_timeout: --
Registration for ' timed out, trying again (Attempt
#1)

Same time every day. Not a big deal [in night service between 11 and 7],
just wondering if it's Sipgate or Telewest.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:08:01 up 9 days, 15:25, 2 users, load average: 1.73, 1.58, 1.12

Old February 4th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

#1)
#1)
#1)
#1)
#1)

Same time every day. Not a big deal [in night service between 11 and 7],
just wondering if it's Sipgate or Telewest.

I think it's sipgate, I've noticed this before, it manages to register
on attempt #2 (which is immediately after attempt 1).

Can't say that I've seen it as regularly though.
Why have you got such a short registration time?
mine is set to the maximum (3585 for sipgate), which is done in sip.conf
(defaultexpirey=3600 in the [general] tab.)

I know my IP isn't static, but it hasn't changed in an awfully long time.
Old February 4th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message

[snip]

I think it's sipgate, I've noticed this before, it
manages to register on attempt #2 (which is immediately
after attempt 1).
Can't say that I've seen it as regularly though.
Why have you got such a short registration time?
mine is set to the maximum (3585 for sipgate), which is
done in sip.conf (defaultexpirey=3600 in the [general]
tab.)
I know my IP isn't static, but it hasn't changed in an
awfully long time.

I've had it happen here also, but very rarely and not just on Sipgate. It
also happens on my FWD account.

Ivor

Old February 4th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

I think it's sipgate, I've noticed this before, it manages to register
on attempt #2 (which is immediately after attempt 1).

Can't say that I've seen it as regularly though.
Why have you got such a short registration time?

Er...I have? How can you tell from that logfile snippet?

mine is set to the maximum (3585 for sipgate), which is done in sip.conf
(defaultexpirey=3600 in the [general] tab.)

I checked sip.conf and I don't even have it defined. I'll stick 3585 in
there, as presumably if my IP rarely ever changes, I don't need to
re-register all the time.

I know my IP isn't static, but it hasn't changed in an awfully long time.

Same here. Changes about every 6 months.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:52:37 up 9 days, 22:10, 2 users, load average: 2.47, 1.75, 1.58

Old February 4th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:

I think it's sipgate, I've noticed this before, it manages to register
on attempt #2 (which is immediately after attempt 1).

Can't say that I've seen it as regularly though.
Why have you got such a short registration time?

Er...I have? How can you tell from that logfile snippet?

Sorry, didn't read it properly, thought they were the same dates.

mine is set to the maximum (3585 for sipgate), which is done in sip.conf
(defaultexpirey=3600 in the [general] tab.)

I checked sip.conf and I don't even have it defined. I'll stick 3585 in
there, as presumably if my IP rarely ever changes, I don't need to
re-register all the time.

The default in asterisk is to re-register every 60 seconds.
Old February 4th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:26:28 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

The default in asterisk is to re-register every 60 seconds.

Wouldn't every few hours be good enough?
Old February 4th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

The default in asterisk is to re-register every 60
seconds.

Wouldn't every few hours be good enough?

That depends. If your ATA is set to register once an hour and you unplug
it 5 minutes after it last registered, it will be 55 minutes before the
system sees you as offline. If you use voicemail, it won't cut in and
callers won't get any indication you are offline either. This is a common
reason for calls not being connected and people being distrustful of VoIP.

Ivor

Old February 5th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Ivor Jones wrote:

wrote in message

Wouldn't every few hours be good enough?

That depends. If your ATA is set to register once an hour and you unplug
it 5 minutes after it last registered, it will be 55 minutes before the
system sees you as offline. If you use voicemail, it won't cut in and
callers won't get any indication you are offline either. This is a common
reason for calls not being connected and people being distrustful of VoIP.

Surely Sipgate divert to VM or play a busy tone if your SIP client doesn't
respond to requests within a sensible time period?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:42:02 up 10 days, 20:59, 3 users, load average: 1.45, 1.47, 1.37

Old February 5th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"alexd" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

wrote in message

Wouldn't every few hours be good enough?

That depends. If your ATA is set to register once an
hour and you unplug it 5 minutes after it last
registered, it will be 55 minutes before the system
sees you as offline. If you use voicemail, it won't cut
in and callers won't get any indication you are offline
either. This is a common reason for calls not being
connected and people being distrustful of VoIP.

Surely Sipgate divert to VM or play a busy tone if your
SIP client doesn't respond to requests within a sensible
time period?

The time period is the registration interval..!

No busy tone, the system doesn't use it. If the server thinks you're
online it will attempt to connect the call. If you're not online, it
can't..! Hence the reason not to leave long gaps between registrations.

This is not unique to Sipgate BTW before the anti brigade pipe up.

Ivor