Bluetooth and Asterisk

Old February 6th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Ward

Default Bluetooth and Asterisk

Reading through the stuff on the BT fusion it appers to use bluetooth as a
local network to connect to what seems to be a standard phone and connect
to the PSTN. So the question is can we do the same thing with a blootooth
interface on an asterisk box.

I presume there must be something done to the phone to tell it to be a
"headset" to connect to the basestation when in range and not to use the
GSM network for that call. simularly incomming calls (to the PSTN line)
need to make the phone ring over bluetooth. Can this all work?

Old February 7th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Stuart Ward wrote:

Reading through the stuff on the BT fusion it appers to use bluetooth as a
local network to connect to what seems to be a standard phone and connect
to the PSTN. So the question is can we do the same thing with a blootooth
interface on an asterisk box.

I presume there must be something done to the phone to tell it to be a
"headset" to connect to the basestation when in range and not to use the
GSM network for that call. simularly incomming calls (to the PSTN line)
need to make the phone ring over bluetooth. Can this all work?

Yes you can - sort of. There was an Asterisk channel driver for bluetooth
[google:chan_bluetooth], but last time I looked, it only worked with
Asterisk 1.0. Apparently Theo Zourzouvillys is busy with other stuff
[voip.co.uk, at a guess], but he says he'll be reviving it at some point
due to all the interest. I'm sure he'll appreciate another guinea pig!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:03:10 up 12 days, 23:21, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.18, 0.30

Old February 7th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:
Stuart Ward wrote:

[...]

This sounds pretty exciting to me (especially since I appear to have
until tomorrow to use nearly 500 crossnet minutes on my mobile), is
there a way of using a mobile phone as an FXS device through a datalead?
Old February 8th 06, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Ward

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:47:56 +0000, Thomas Kenyon wrote:

alexd wrote:
Stuart Ward wrote:

[...]

There are a number of "SIM boxes" on the market that allow a PBX to be
connected to effectivly a Mobile trunk line. I am not aware of any
software to do this directly though.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=105673

Old February 8th 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Stuart Ward wrote:

There are a number of "SIM boxes" on the market that allow a PBX to be
connected to effectivly a Mobile trunk line. I am not aware of any
software to do this directly though.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=105673

Yeah, I've used GSM modems, I even have one if I could be bothered to
fix it.

I remember seeing software that lets you use a data lead with some
mobiles as a GSM modem, but none that allow you to use it as an FXS
device. Would be nice though.
Old February 8th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Stuart Ward wrote:

There are a number of "SIM boxes" on the market that allow a PBX to be
connected to effectivly a Mobile trunk line. I am not aware of any
software to do this directly though.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=105673

Yeah, I've used GSM modems, I even have one if I could be bothered to
fix it.

I remember seeing software that lets you use a data lead with some
mobiles as a GSM modem, but none that allow you to use it as an FXS
device. Would be nice though.

From reading the notes that come with chan_bluetooth, I *think* you can use
a bluetooth adaptor as either an FXS or an FXO. Presumably if one can fool
a bluetooth phone into thinking that an Asterisk box with a bluetooth
adaptor is a 'headset', the you'll effectively be able to use a bluetooth
phone as a trunk.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:24:43 up 14 days, 1:42, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06

Old February 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Ward

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:27:39 +0000, alexd wrote:

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Stuart Ward wrote:

There are a number of "SIM boxes" on the market that allow a PBX to be
connected to effectivly a Mobile trunk line. I am not aware of any
software to do this directly though.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=105673

Yeah, I've used GSM modems, I even have one if I could be bothered to
fix it.

I remember seeing software that lets you use a data lead with some
mobiles as a GSM modem, but none that allow you to use it as an FXS
device. Would be nice though.

From reading the notes that come with chan_bluetooth, I *think* you can
use a bluetooth adaptor as either an FXS or an FXO. Presumably if one
can fool a bluetooth phone into thinking that an Asterisk box with a
bluetooth adaptor is a 'headset', the you'll effectively be able to use
a bluetooth phone as a trunk.

What I wanted to do was the oppisite. Use the bluethooth phone as a
headsetwhen it is at home. So that outgoing calls go via A* when at home
and via GSM when out of range. This what the BT Fusion device seems to do.
I presume it must do some sort of registration with the phone when it is
in range.

The info on the fusion is he http://www.btfusionorder.bt.com/ to quote
from the site:

BT Fusion2 offers great value calls. Now you can enjoy the freedom and
convenience of a mobile phone with the added advantage of low call rates
on your mobile when you get home. Your handset knows when you're home,
and connects your calls through your BT Broadband connection giving you
rates from just 5.5p for up to an hour to UK landlines3.

The problem with getting one of these is that you have to use BT
Broardband, and their VoIP service. I cant find the basestation on is own
anware either.

Old February 9th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woodhouse

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 19:07 +0000, alexd wrote:
Yes you can - sort of. There was an Asterisk channel driver for bluetooth
[google:chan_bluetooth], but last time I looked, it only worked with
Asterisk 1.0. Apparently Theo Zourzouvillys is busy with other stuff
[voip.co.uk, at a guess], but he says he'll be reviving it at some point
due to all the interest. I'm sure he'll appreciate another guinea pig!

There are later versions which work with more recent Asterisk, and which
actually give you esoteric features which Theo's original didn't -- like
working full-duplex audio.

cvs -d (the password is anoncvs iirc; google is your friend if not)

--
dwmw2