skype delay

Old February 9th 06, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
jim

Default skype delay

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me. When making a skypeout call, there is a
propogation delay of perhaps 3/4 to 1 second from the time the speaker
sends until the "speakee" receives. This happens when calling from my
computer to my landline. Yet when we talk from computer to computer
using skype in the same house there is no delay. I suppose this is
reasonable and assume skype sets up the routing for interconnection
between the computers.

I live in New Zealand: Does anyone know how the call gets from wherever
to my phone? At the moment I am supposing that, because of the cheap
call rate, the calling number is offshore, probably in continental USA.

I have unsuccessfully searched the skype website for an answer;
similarly an email to skype solicited a standard reply which was of no
use. (curiously, they invited me to ask them again

If anyone has any information regarding this delay, I would be grateful.
Thanks,
Jim.
Old February 9th 06, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

boils down in part to basics physics.
pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to travel
further.
so i suppose 750 to 1000ms may be possible if you include the time to
gateway delay i the gateway and then the time to get back to you. + delays
in all the routers on the way.

Ian

Old February 9th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:

boils down in part to basics physics.
pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
travel further.
so i suppose 750 to 1000ms may be possible if you include the time to
gateway delay i the gateway and then the time to get back to you. + delays
in all the routers on the way.

The OP might also like to have a look at what sort of electrons his
computers' power supply has in it. You can upgrade the electrons to
higher-performance VoIP-compatible ones. I got some off eBay to use in my
Asterisk server and it massively improved call quality, dropouts, dropped
calls, etc. I sprinkled the leftover ones on my mobile phone and they
worked wonders there too.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:59:20 up 15 days, 1:17, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Old February 9th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Victor Delta

boils down in part to basics physics.
pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
travel
further.

No sure your 'basic physics' is correct. The propagation delay will increase
with the path length but, as far as I recall, the electrons vibrate along
it's length - they don't travel from one end to the other.