Switching Voice Providers - BT to Vonage

Old February 9th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Switching Voice Providers - BT to Vonage

Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

busby

Old February 9th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:23:34 GMT, "Carl Waring"

Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

busby

Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's no
way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are able
to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line. At least, they used to
:-)

I can confirm that they do - I use BY myself for that very reason.
Vonage is OK, I suppose, for non-tech people who have money to burn.
If you buy your own ATA or router/ATA then your monthly outgoings will
be considerably less. If you use Vonage you are really are paying
through the nose. You probably would be better using 1899 from your BT
line. For £9.99 you can get 333 UK calls.
If you want to use voip spend a bit of time setting up an ATA. That
will give you a choice of any voip operator you want to use. Being
tied in with Vonage is like being tied in with BT - Why would you want
to do that unless you don't care about what you spend !
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 9th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

Carl Waring wrote:

Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's
no way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are
able to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line.

Why would you want their TV package for VoIP ?
Old February 10th 06, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

There is little point
in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

Exactly ! From frying pan to the fire...
But there is a way, find consenting close neighbour, share his broadband
via WiFi, split the cost, make (nearly) free VoIP calls and laugh all the
way past the BT exchange to the bank !
Use mobile phone for emergencies.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 10th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks everyone, sounds like a minefield. The other thing with Vonage
is that I'd have to change my phone number. Is that inevitable too
whichever voip I choose?
Busby

Old February 10th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Carl Waring

TheMgt wrote:
Carl Waring wrote:

Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no,
there's no way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I
*think* they are able to offer their top TV package *without* a
phone line.

Why would you want their TV package for VoIP ?

Fair point. You can get their Broadband without paying for either TV or
phone.

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495