Skype to New Zealand

Old February 11th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
news

Default Skype to New Zealand

I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video
Skype beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK, but
unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.

The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable audio
-- but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly, and my
daughter sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of mogadon and
helium!

Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.

This is repeated every time we connect.

I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection because
the audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems talking to
other people overseas, but they are all on broadband).

Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things? Connection
timeout? Codec?

--
Ian
Old February 12th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
sean

I'm not sure about Skype, But Google Talk is very good at keeping
quailty as good as can be, changing codecs when needed itself.

Does not do Video though.. Very good voice
Old February 12th 06, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Me

If you are not too worried about the video, why not just ring her on
her normal land line with Voipstunt (www.voipstunt.com).

Me

Old February 12th 06, 05:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Nick

"news" wrote in message
[...]

Why try to achieve something the program
clearly states isn't possible?

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Old February 12th 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , Jono
writes
news laid this down on his screen :
I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video
Skype beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK,
but unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.

The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable
audio -- but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly,
and my daughter sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of
mogadon and helium!

Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.

This is repeated every time we connect.

I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection
because the audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems
talking to other people overseas, but they are all on broadband).

Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things?
Connection timeout? Codec?

Voice alone will consume virtually all(if not all) the dial-up
bandwidth & you're sending video as well?

Yes, I know it's a tall order. We have already tried NetMeeting, and
that works reasonably well on audio+video. I simply wanted to see if
Skype would be any better -- Skype video is certainly much better.

Actually, writing this has just given me an idea. I will try reducing
the video refresh rate to the minimum, to see if that frees up some
bandwidth.

--
Ian
Old February 12th 06, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
news

In message , Me
writes
If you are not too worried about the video, why not just ring her on
her normal land line with Voipstunt (www.voipstunt.com).

We already use VoIP extensively for all our voice calls. No problem
there.

But we also want to give our grandchildren the opportunity to see their
grandparents as well (and the other way round, of course :-))

--
Ian
Old February 12th 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
news

In message , Nick
writes

Why try to achieve something the program
clearly states isn't possible?

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Saying that something "isn't possible" is the sign of a closed mind.
Where would mankind be today if we stopped trying to do things because
they were deemed "impossible"?

In any case, where does it say that it isn't possible?

--
Ian
Old February 12th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
paul123

I don't know how well it'll work with a dialup connection, but you
could try Kapanga, a SIP client that also does video:
http://www.kapanga.net/IP/home.cfm

or FWD, that does video too:
http://www.pulver.com/communicator/

Old February 12th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
news

In message .com,
paul123 writes
I don't know how well it'll work with a dialup connection, but you
could try Kapanga, a SIP client that also does video:
http://www.kapanga.net/IP/home.cfm

or FWD, that does video too:
http://www.pulver.com/communicator/

Very useful. Thank you.

--
Ian
Old February 12th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
R. Mark Clayton

"news" wrote in message
In message , Nick
writes

Why try to achieve something the program
clearly states isn't possible?

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Saying that something "isn't possible" is the sign of a closed mind. Where
would mankind be today if we stopped trying to do things because they were
deemed "impossible"?

In any case, where does it say that it isn't possible?

--
Ian

The bandwidth of dialup is perfectly adequate for voice.

It is balefully inadequate for video. Even ISDN gives very poor results and
there you get 64kbps both ways rather than the 32-40kbps typical on dial
up.

Trying to do both is going beyond the limits of physics - Shannon's Law see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon-Hartley_theorem

of course if they get broadband or even ISDN2 (and aggregate the channels)
then you might just get a serviceable channel - choose a low resolution
image in black and white.

BTW it always amazes me that people whose children move to the far side of
the world never realise that there is an underlying reason... So don't
expect an upgrade at their end soon.