End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

Old February 13th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

Default End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Also, am planning on getting Xbox Live so will need to somehow get QoS
priorities working between data, voice, video and Halo 2 games sessions
on my soon to arrive Thomson Speedtouch 716wl gadget using newly
provisioned UK Online 2MBPS service...any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hiro

Old February 13th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
themgt

Hiro wrote:

Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling?

No.

See this : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4700430.stm
Old February 14th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Hiro" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Also, am planning on getting Xbox Live so will need to somehow get QoS
priorities working between data, voice, video and Halo 2 games sessions
on my soon to arrive Thomson Speedtouch 716wl gadget using newly
provisioned UK Online 2MBPS service...any advice would be appreciated.

Yes there are suppliers who offer this, But not at a domestic rate. basicly
they offer a VPN.

Some domestic ISPs are now starting to introduce Network management:
This is what my isp is doing, And quality has improved - was only in the
evenings now its " Introduction of traffic prioritisation to ensure
important web, email, gaming and broadband phone call (VoIP) traffic gets
priority at all times".

Ian

Old February 14th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Ward

Hiro wrote:
Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

No, that's what the so-called 21st Century Networks are all about - IP
Telephony (with QoS) as opposed to Voice over IP (without QoS). It'll
be on all the major telco ISPs' roadmaps. BT is trialling something in
Cardiff, so if you're fortunate enough to live there then you may get
it sooner!

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Yes, the packets are marked to indicate the priority with which the
network should handle them. Time-critical stuff (voice, video) gets a
high priority and non-time-critical stuff (data) gets a low priority.

What you're after is available today in Enterprise networks (IP
Telephony over the LAN) but is too costly to do over the current PSTN.

Nick

Old February 14th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hiro

hmm... read article ....

seems like bureacrats trying to figure out how best to manage
technology they don't understand

prioritizing one traffic stream over another is inevitable and
desirable

it would allow differented products to be delivered over one single
broadband line (hopefully without having to pay two bills for line
rental and broadband service)

in any case, there is differentiated services already in the form of
contention ratios of 20:1 offered to business and 50:1 to residential
(approx numbers). i am in that wonderful space classified as SOHO so
could choose either. I've chosen price over QoS so have a residential
service

Old February 14th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

and who pray tell is your ISP?

Old February 14th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Ward

Hiro wrote:
and who pray tell is your ISP?

Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an IP Telephony
service (as opposed to VoIP).

Old February 14th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

Thanks Nick
looks like netservicesplc is selling services to business customers as
you mention below and delivering end to end Qos traffic presumably via
VPNs as Ian has mentioned.

Ian
I was actually interested in your domestic line provider... is it
plusnet by any chance?

Believe 21cn is pegged for delivery in 2008 onwards...seems not bad if
they can deliver in 2 years but suspect it will get delayed

Cheers
Hiro

Old February 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Corlett

Hiro wrote:
[...]
prioritizing one traffic stream over another is inevitable and
desirable

The Internet2 guys have spent some time doing research into QoS and the like
to ensure timely delivery of multimedia content, and the net conclusion was
that it's cheaper in the long run to just provide sufficient bandwidth in
the first place.

Bandwidth gets cheaper faster than technologies designed to conserve it. For
example, few ISPs bother with transparent proxy caches any more as they're
expensive and unreliable and international bandwidth is dirt cheap.

--
PHB: I need the handover documents for these 6 items ASAP.
BOFH: I'll treat them as a priority.
Old February 14th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Nick Ward" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hiro wrote:
and who pray tell is your ISP?

Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an IP Telephony
service (as opposed to VoIP).

No its not! or are you answering a different question ???

Ian