Vonage or competitor

Old February 13th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SidKnee

Default Vonage or competitor

I am looking at reducing my calls and at the same time trying to get a 2nd
line that would have inclusive calls. NTL is currently costing me
14.50/month.

I was looking at Vonage but are there any others out there? Also I would
also like to use FWD which is SIP based? Any guidance?

Sid

Old February 13th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:58:52 GMT, "Sidknee"
wrote:

I am looking at reducing my calls and at the same time trying to get a 2nd
line that would have inclusive calls. NTL is currently costing me
14.50/month.

I was looking at Vonage but are there any others out there? Also I would
also like to use FWD which is SIP based? Any guidance?

Sid

Yes - Vonage is a rip off. I can't understand why anyone, with any
technical competence, would want to use it.
For a very good incoming call service (1571, 1471 etc.) and reliabilty
I'd choose voipfone.co.uk Their voicemail responds with a different
message depending on whether you are unavailable or currently on
another call. They have call waiting and caller display too.

However, if you want a good tariff and reliabilty I'd choose
voip.co.uk - 2/month for free evening and weekend UK calls(up to 1
hour) and 2p per 1 hour UK call at peak times (geographic). Their
voicemail service, when it works, is, currently, only very basic,
but, I am given to understand, a new one is being developed. They
have caller display and call waiting works well too. Currently no 1471
equivalent.
If the new voicemail proves to be good then voip.co.uk will be
unbeatable in my opinion.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 13th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SidKnee

wrote Vonage provide a very good
service for a modest cost ,how the hell can they be a rip off when for
an outlay of 33 PENCE at day inclusive of ALL geographical calls
within the UK and the all of Ireland router included .

I checked the website and note that the PAP2 comes freee! Can the PAP2
be used for other SIP based services like FWD/Pulver communicator/Sipgate
etc. If it is locked what is involved in unlocking or is it not wrth the
hassle.

Sid

Old February 13th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Keith Lawrence

wrote ...

Yes - Vonage is a rip off. I can't understand why anyone, with any
technical competence, would want to use it.

Vonage are not a rip off at all in fact Vonage provide a very good
service for a modest cost ,how the hell can they be a rip off when...

....and don't forget with any providers like Sipgate Voipfone etc
you also have the added cost of buying an ATA Which don't come
cheap...

Tell me - is this the voice of a vested interest? If so then perhaps you
should state that fact!

To get what I am using now (two independent SIP phone lines) would cost me
18.99 PER MONTH, to "save" the 90 or so for my Sipura ATA + bits +
adapters. In other words after only six months I have more than paid for
this "free" ATA. Plus of course I would have a useless bit of locked down
hardware physically tying me into the Vonage service, preventing me from
trying alternative services.

Of course Vonage are not interested in the likes of me, there is no facility
at all for customers to use their own equipment, it's the tied in service or
nothing.

Do you also recommend that people rent video and DVD players?

Keith L

Old February 14th 06, 04:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Niko Patera

I only recommend three voip providers Vonage Freetalk and Voipfone
voipfone are good .....

I am surprised you did not mention Hermes Broadband; they offer same
service BUT with a WiFi option and unlimited calls to 30 countries!!!
These guys must be loosing serious money; I don't know what their catch
is. I googled "Hermes Communications" and I come across their
communication satellite technology! cool stuff!

Old February 14th 06, 04:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Niko Patera

Take a look of Hermes Boradband; mobile internet phone and unlimited
calls to 20+ countries.

Old February 14th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"Niko Patera"

SNIP
I am surprised you did not mention Hermes Broadband; they offer same
service BUT with a WiFi option and unlimited calls to 30 countries!!!
These guys must be loosing serious money; I don't know what their catch
is. I googled "Hermes Communications" and I come across their
communication satellite technology! cool stuff!

Perhaps you didn't notice that this is a UK group.

WOW! unlimited calls to fixed lines for only 25 a month! Wi-fi, gosh! and
only 175 for a phone that Voiptalk will sell you for 117.49. Amazingly,
some people prefer not to do business with Companies that we think are
"loosing serious money" (sic) on the grounds that it's a pain when they go
bust.

Old February 14th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SidKnee

"Sidknee" wrote
Can the PAP2
be used for other SIP based services like FWD/Pulver communicator/Sipgate
etc. If it is locked what is involved in unlocking or is it not wrth the
hassle.

Can the PAP2 offered free by Vonage be unlocked for simulataneours use with
FWD or other Sip operators?

Sid

Old February 14th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Can an ordinary Voip ATA be used with voip.co.uk? I've checked their
website out and it's a little confusing (only for me, I'm sure).

They make reference to two "Freedom" accounts - one that includes
hardware and the other a "Optional Freedom pack MTA" - what does this
refer to?

Adam