Free USA number for family to call me on (Sipgate)

Old February 16th 06, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Free USA number for family to call me on (Sipgate)

I have a free 01xxx SIPGate number and it is great!
Have family in USA and was wondering if I could get a free geographical
USA number and then "merge" it into my XLite software where I use the
SIPGate number. This would then enable family to call free or very
cheaply nationally instead of internationally.
*Very* new to this VOIP thing so any help/assistance appreciated. Thanks

Old February 16th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
www.ipkall.com

Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to use than XLite
that you can recommend?
Cheers

Old February 16th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
www.ipkall.com

Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial plate
when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin gup with
SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number
assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
Confused.

Old February 16th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh :
Ivor Jones wrote:
www.ipkall.com

Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial
plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin
gup with SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx
number assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
Confused.

It will be the 7 digit one.

sipgate.co.uk is correct.

Old February 16th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:
www.ipkall.com

Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to
use than XLite that you can recommend?
Cheers

Why use software at all..? Get an ATA and plug an ordinary phone in.

www.sipura.com
www.avm.de/en

as a start.

Ivor

Old February 16th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:
www.ipkall.com

Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on
the dial plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your
number") I got when signin gup with SIPGate or would it
be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number assigned
once I completed the SIPGate registration? I put my SIP Proxy as
sipgate.co.uk - hope that is
correct. Confused.

Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example the
number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter that.

Proxy is correct.

Note that it can take up to an hour after you set up an ipkall number
before it starts working.

Ivor

Old February 17th 06, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:

Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
that.

Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
Not related at all.
Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
???

Old February 17th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"" wrote in message
Ivor Jones wrote:

Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
that.

Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
Not related at all.
Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
???

I have two sipgate accounts, and neither of my PSTN numbers corresponds to
my SIP number. One of my PSTN numbers starts 888xxx (after the area code,
obviously), and the sip number for that account starts 662xxxx, whilst the
other starts 998xxx and the sip number is 972xxxx. It took me a while to
work out what Ivor was on about, until I realised his assumptions were wrong
about having the same SIP/PSTN numbers (or parts of).
At a guess I'd say you get the same numbers if their avaliable, however if
someones already had your local PSTN number on a different exchange as their
SIP number you could get allocated a random one...

Alex

Old February 17th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Alex" wrote in message

[snip]

I have two sipgate accounts, and neither of my PSTN
numbers corresponds to my SIP number. One of my PSTN
numbers starts 888xxx (after the area code, obviously),
and the sip number for that account starts 662xxxx,
whilst the other starts 998xxx and the sip number is
972xxxx. It took me a while to work out what Ivor was on
about, until I realised his assumptions were wrong about
having the same SIP/PSTN numbers (or parts of). At a guess I'd say you
get the same numbers if their
avaliable, however if someones already had your local
PSTN number on a different exchange as their SIP number
you could get allocated a random one...

That's probably the case. All my numbers except one are relatively early
ones, allocated when Sipgate first started in the UK over a year ago,
although the one I set up a couple of months ago also corresponds, but it
isn't an exchange code with an awful lot of users so there are probably
lots of spare numbers.

In any event, always use the 7 digit SIP ID when setting up an ipkall
number.

Ivor