voip.co.uk setup

Old February 16th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
adam c

Default voip.co.uk setup

According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
reserves some of the connection for itself).

However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
downloading during off-peak hours).

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

[1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png
Old February 16th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

adam c wrote:
According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
reserves some of the connection for itself).

However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
downloading during off-peak hours).

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

No need to use any particular device.
Old February 16th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
adam c

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
adam c wrote:

Snip

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

No need to use any particular device.

Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.
However, I was looking to buy a device anyway, and by purchasing from
voip.co.uk this also bundles in their UK Option package, which provides
free calls for weekends and evenings for a year. However, I definitely
do not want to buy a locked device or a device which forces all my other
devices (PCs) to go through it.

Adam
Old February 16th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
adam c wrote:

Snip

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

No need to use any particular device.

Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.

Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.

You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
supplied by voip.co.uk

I use a Sipura3000

However, I was looking to buy a device anyway, and by purchasing from
voip.co.uk this also bundles in their UK Option package,

You can have their UK Option package for 19.99 per annum or 1.99 per
month.

Old February 16th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bill Taylor

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c wrote:

According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
reserves some of the connection for itself).

However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
downloading during off-peak hours).

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

[1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png

I have one of those, and don't connect the rest of my network through
it. It all works fine; the only theoretical downside is that you don't
get the qos facility that the ATA provides.

Bill
Old February 16th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
adam c

Bill Taylor wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c wrote:

According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
reserves some of the connection for itself).

However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
downloading during off-peak hours).

Snip

I have one of those, and don't connect the rest of my network through
it. It all works fine; the only theoretical downside is that you don't
get the qos facility that the ATA provides.

Bill

Thanks for confirming that this will work. My ADSL/Router provides QOS
to a particular IP address on the LAN, so I guess it will be a case of
working out the IP address of the MTA and then applying QOS to that IP
address.

Adam
Old February 16th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
adam c

David Floyd wrote:
In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
adam c wrote:

Snip

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

No need to use any particular device.

Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.

Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.

You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
supplied by voip.co.uk

Won't Voip.co.uk work on a softphone?

Adam
Old February 16th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

David Floyd wrote:
In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
adam c wrote:
Snip

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

No need to use any particular device.

Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.

Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.

You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
supplied by voip.co.uk

Won't Voip.co.uk work on a softphone?

I wouldn't know.
D.
Old February 16th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c wrote:

However, how much of a requirement is this?

How much of a question is that?

You can use the router in the ATA to provide QoS or you can not use
it. Your call.

I have more than one
computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do).

No, you would need to buy a switch. Not only do you not need a router,
but you would also find it pointless. You can get a decent switch for
around a tenner if you decide to connect through the ATA.

I have a very
reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
downloading during off-peak hours).

2Mb downlink, 0.25Mb uplink. Guess where the bottleneck will be!
Old February 17th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
adam c

adam c wrote:

Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

[1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png

OK - after speaking to the nice people at voip.co.uk, it seems that the
MTA they sell to you is unlocked although it initially defaults to their
service. You can ask them for a password to change these settings which
they will provide (so they say).

If you go for a monthly option, which includes the MTA in that cost,
this this is locked.

Adam