Sipgate problem

Old February 17th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TR

Default Sipgate problem

I've just been on a conference call (0800 number) but the call kept
dropping out after about 5 mins, i had to be on mute during the call.
in the end i had to use my mobile....

anyone else had this type of problem and whats the cure ??

using, grandstream 101
cable telewest 4m/384k
router netgear wgr614v3

rebooted the router and the phone with no change in results.
is this me or is it sipgates inferior service ?
Old February 17th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"TR" wrote in message
. uk
I've just been on a conference call (0800 number) but the
call kept dropping out after about 5 mins, i had to be on
mute during the call. in the end i had to use my
mobile....
anyone else had this type of problem and whats the cure ??

using, grandstream 101
cable telewest 4m/384k
router netgear wgr614v3

rebooted the router and the phone with no change in
results. is this me or is it sipgates inferior service ?

I've never used a conference service so I can't comment specifically on
that, but I made a 20 minute call to a London number yesterday with
excellent call quality throughout. Also a friend from the US rang me on my
www.ipkall.com number which routes to my Sipgate number with no problems.
In fact I have never had a call drop out, on Sipgate or anywhere else for
that matter, except on a mobile when I've been in a bad coverage area.

Do you have problems with other calls on Sipgate or is it just on this
conference system..?

Ivor

Old February 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TR

Ivor Jones wrote:
"TR" wrote in message
. uk

[...]

have also had problems where the sound cuts off in one direction during
a normal call, but the call doesn't disconnect. just loss of sound.

raised this with sipgate, they advised setting QoS on router, but thats
not possible (cheapy netgear) they also advise that they are installing
more servers, next week to cope with the increased capacity of users.

i have the phone set in the DMZ of the router and made sure the correct
ports point to the phone address.

any good wireless routers out there that support QoS for voip ??

Old February 17th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Barrett

"TR" wrote in message
. uk...
Ivor Jones wrote:
"TR" wrote in message
. uk

[...]

look on voip.or.uk/forums . Lots of people are having problems with dropped
calls. Sipgate couldnt find a problem with the logs I sent them a few weeks
ago but this week admitted theres a problem and they're looking into it.
Mine drop always on the minute either at 2, 3 or 4 minutes into the call.

Old February 17th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"TR" wrote in message
. uk
Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

Do you have problems with other calls on Sipgate or is
it just on this conference system..?

have also had problems where the sound cuts off in one
direction during a normal call, but the call doesn't
disconnect. just loss of sound.

One way audio is usually a port forwarding problem but I've never heard of
it happening during a call where it was ok at the start of the call,
strange..!

raised this with sipgate, they advised setting QoS on
router, but thats not possible (cheapy netgear) they also
advise that they are installing more servers, next week
to cope with the increased capacity of users.

That's useful to know, thanks.

i have the phone set in the DMZ of the router and made
sure the correct ports point to the phone address.

any good wireless routers out there that support QoS for
voip ??

www.avm.de/en - the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 - Sipgate have it on their
shop page. I have the non-wireless version which is excellent.

Ivor

Old February 17th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Roger Barrett" wrote in message

[snip]

look on voip.or.uk/forums . Lots of people are having
problems with dropped calls. Sipgate couldnt find a
problem with the logs I sent them a few weeks ago but
this week admitted theres a problem and they're looking
into it. Mine drop always on the minute either at 2, 3 or
4 minutes into the call.

Never had that happen ever, in over a year of using Sipgate. Does this
happen on all calls or only SIPSIP / SIP PSTN..?

Ivor

Old February 17th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TR

Ivor Jones wrote:
"TR" wrote in message
. uk

Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Fritz no good, its for adsl, i'm on cable anyone know if the drayteks
are any good ??
Old February 17th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Roger Barrett" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Roger Barrett" wrote in
message

[snip]

look on voip.or.uk/forums . Lots of people are having
problems with dropped calls. Sipgate couldnt find a
problem with the logs I sent them a few weeks ago but
this week admitted theres a problem and they're
looking into it. Mine drop always on the minute
either at 2, 3 or 4 minutes into the call.

Never had that happen ever, in over a year of using
Sipgate. Does this happen on all calls or only SIPSIP
/ SIP PSTN..? Ivor

dont make may sipsip and its random on sippstn some are
fine some cut off

Strange. Well there's not a lot more I can add, it's never happened here,
nor with anyone else that I know of, and I have quite a few local friends
on Sipgate. Let me know if you ever get to the bottom of it..!

Ivor

Old February 17th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"TR" wrote in message
. uk...
any good wireless routers out there that support QoS for voip ??

If you get a common-or-garden Linksys WRT54G you can reflash it with
various free firmwares which do support QoS. Works for me.

Joe