Voip and PDQs

Old February 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John F Kappler

Default Voip and PDQs

I have a VOIP facility on my router and it works fine for one of my
phones.

However, I'd like to use VOIP for my PDQ (credit card) machine.

I understand there is a special VOIP protocol for Fax machines, but I
just wondered if anyone here had managed to get a PDQ (dialling an
0800 number) to work over VOIP, and, if so, what Merchant Services
provider they are with, and what terminal had they got?

I think the answer might be a No-No, but I just felt that
it was worth asking here.

TIA,

JohnK
Old February 20th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Early

In article ,
John F Kappler wrote:
I understand there is a special VOIP protocol for Fax machines, but I
just wondered if anyone here had managed to get a PDQ (dialling an
0800 number) to work over VOIP, and, if so, what Merchant Services
provider they are with, and what terminal had they got?

I have not managed to get my PDQ working with VOIP. I _have_ managed
to get it working with Asterisk using a TDM22B card (2 x FXO and 2 x
FXS) and a BT phone line. (My VOIP handsets also connect to Asterisk
and make use of the BT line that way).

It might be worth asking whether you can get a PDQ that plugs directly
into your local network via Ethernet. I'm sure it's technically
possible, and the more people ask the more likely the merchant
services providers are to offer it. I'm with Barclaycard Merchant
Services, and there was a question on the form they sent round for
ordering Chip and PIN compatible kit that asked 'do you have a local
area network with Internet access'...

Steve Early
Old February 20th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

John F Kappler wrote:

I understand there is a special VOIP protocol for Fax machines, but I
just wondered if anyone here had managed to get a PDQ (dialling an
0800 number) to work over VOIP, and, if so, what Merchant Services
provider they are with, and what terminal had they got?

I've used ours over Voip with a Sipura 2002 and a gradwell account. It
worked most of the time - occasionally the machine had to redial.

I now know some more settings that might make it work better, but I
haven't tried them yet. Easier just to plug the machine into one of our
plain phonelines.

Tim
Old February 21st 06, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John F Kappler

On 20 Feb 2006 21:20:30 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Early
wrote:

In article ,
John F Kappler wrote:
[...]

I'm also with BMS and the only on-line processing they currently
support is secure payment at time of ordering. We dont want to do
that, but would be quite happy to enter the transaction at time of
shipment, but BMS dont (wont) support that!

So we're stuck with using a terminal, which, when tried, rarely makes
a connection over VOIP and when it does, has yet to complete a
transaction.

I just wondered if we should change PDQ supplier (or Bank!).

Thnx,

John K
Old February 21st 06, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John F Kappler

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:19:26 +0000, Tim Bray
wrote:

John F Kappler wrote:

I understand there is a special VOIP protocol for Fax machines, but I
just wondered if anyone here had managed to get a PDQ (dialling an
0800 number) to work over VOIP, and, if so, what Merchant Services
provider they are with, and what terminal had they got?

I've used ours over Voip with a Sipura 2002 and a gradwell account. It
worked most of the time - occasionally the machine had to redial.

I now know some more settings that might make it work better, but I
haven't tried them yet. Easier just to plug the machine into one of our
plain phonelines.

Tim

Thnx. So there is some hope? Are they the sort of settings that affect
the device, or can it be manipulated in the router?

Any info welcomed.

We're just a small business and trying to free up an analog line
that's sole use is now credit card transactions.

Cheers

JK