Vonage - Required equipment

Old February 21st 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Default Vonage - Required equipment

Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
RT31P2.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales people
giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
person.

i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
fine?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old February 21st 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
RT31P2.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Yeah it is. I think they use SRTP to encrypt the audio stream and stop
anyone from using any old SIP client to connect to it. Perhaps someone with
Vonage and a copy of Ethereal could let us know?

Or whether this is just their sales
people giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
person.

i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
fine?

Other kit will work fine, however, you'll have to pay an extra six quid a
month, on top of the tenner a month you'll be paying for using it with the
Vonage kit. And that'll give you only 500 minutes a month with said other
kit. So that's a not-so-stellar rate of 3.2p a minute if you only ever use
your own kit, or 1.2p a minute if you've already got Vonage. Either way
it's not really worth the hassle - you might as well pick any other SIP
provider, it'll be cheaper and you can use pretty much any kit you want.
For example, a tenner will get you ~800 geo minutes with Sipgate. Don't
just compare Vonage to BT; if you're considering moving to VoIP, compare
the cost of their service with Sipgate, voip.co.uk, et al.

Vonage makes sense if you are prepared to use their kit, and make more than
a tenners worth of geo calls every month.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:08:00 up 27 days, 2:26, 4 users, load average: 0.64, 0.41, 0.31

Old February 21st 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

alexd wrote:

Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. Me thinks their service is not what I am looking for.

For the record I've been using VoIP for the last few years having trialled
Sipcall, Gossiptel and Sipgate. All worked fine in the IP universe but
exhibit varying levels of reliability problems for IP/PSTN/IP
interconnects. But for, essentially free services, they are just about
acceptable.

I'm not happy with Sipgate now due to signalling problems, however, that is
for another post!

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old February 21st 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
RT31P2.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales people
giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
person.

i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
fine?

Thanks,
Andrew

They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
a minute to remind us.
Old February 22nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
shido xavier

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
RT31P2.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
people
giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
person.

i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
fine?

Thanks,
Andrew

They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
a minute to remind us.

You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont
want to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to
see whats best for YOU.

-sx

Old February 22nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John golf1jod

"shido xavier" wrote in message
news
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew,
I have been using voipfone with the Intertex IX66 router for about 8 months
and found it very reliable.
I have three Snom IP phones and am using voipfones virtual PBX service.
Well worth looking at.
Similar problems as yours with sipgate, I have one siemens IP phone with a
sipgate account and it works sometimes! not really looked into it as very
happy with voipfone.
John

Old February 22nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
[...]

Cheers John,

Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
may well be giving there free trial a go...

Andrew
Old February 22nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

Cheers John,

Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
may well be giving there free trial a go...

Andrew

I've used gradwell and the service has been completely flawless.

Gradwell also seem to be about the most flexible provider when it comes
to configuring your account.

Mind you they are not cheap.

Have you looked at voip.co.uk?