Internet Connection and internet tv

Old February 23rd 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nickbrace

Default Internet Connection and internet tv

Hi all,

This is my first post so go easy...

I currently subscribe to 'Vispa' a smallest ISP in Manchester. I
subscribe to there 2 Mb service but only get around 512 Mb......Vispa
blamed this on BT but I am unsure?? Should I call BT and is there
something I need to do in order to upgrade, etc??

I live in Milton Keynes and broadband has had a troubled first few
years here with all kinds of problems - funny since we are a new city,
you would have thought they could get it right!

The reason I am pushing for faster internet speeds is I am hoping in
the future to get internet tv, see below post for information on what
this company does:-

www.tvanywhere.org

Although not an expert I suspect I would need at last a 2 Mg line to
run something like this though.......am I correct? Why on earth do they
get 8Mb in Germany and we get 512??

Thanks all,

Nick

--
nickbrace
Old February 24th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

nickbrace wrote:

I currently subscribe to 'Vispa' a smallest ISP in Manchester. I
subscribe to there 2 Mb service but only get around 512 Mb......Vispa
blamed this on BT but I am unsure?? Should I call BT and is there
something I need to do in order to upgrade, etc??

What are the line stats from from your router or modem?. It does sound
like you line isn't good enough to support 2Meg. It could be BTs part
of the line (there have been a number of comments here about
difficulties in MK) or it could be your internal wiring. You would have
to connect directly to the line at the master socket to check that.

You can't call BT directly, unless you are having a problem with your
voice line. For BTw problems you have to go through your ISP.

Another possibility is that there is congestion at your exchange. You
can check that by going to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ and doing
an exchange search.

FWIW, I'm also a Vispa customer, on 2Mb PAYG, and haven't noticed any
recent speed issues - although it can slow down a bit at peak times.
Vispa did have some problems with BT load balancing a month or so ago
but I think that has been cured? The Vispa forums seem pretty quiet at
the moment as well so there doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

Although not an expert I suspect I would need at last a 2 Mg line to
run something like this though.......am I correct? Why on earth do they
get 8Mb in Germany and we get 512??

You can get "up to" 24Mb from some LLU operators here and BT is rolling
out "up to" 8Mb in most exchanges at the end of next month. They are
all dependant on line quality though and, if the line is causing your
problems, you might not get much benefit.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).