newbie

Old July 5th 03, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dannyk

Default newbie

Hi all

I am looking for help with a networking prob.
I have just tried to set up a pentium 166 running 98 networked to an
athlon2200 running XP.
I am using ethernet pci cards from dolphin , the cards are detected and
working fine , but on the athlon machine it is saying that the network cable
is unplugged??? It isnt unplugged and is connected to both cards on both
comps.

Do i need a hub for two machines , i was told that i dont and can connect
them direct . What am i doing wrong ??

any help would be appreciated :-)

Graeme

Old July 5th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BORG

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:12:27 +0800, "dannyk"
wrote:

Hi all

I am looking for help with a networking prob.
I have just tried to set up a pentium 166 running 98 networked to an
athlon2200 running XP.
I am using ethernet pci cards from dolphin , the cards are detected and
working fine , but on the athlon machine it is saying that the network cable
is unplugged??? It isnt unplugged and is connected to both cards on both
comps.

Do i need a hub for two machines , i was told that i dont and can connect
them direct . What am i doing wrong ??

any help would be appreciated :-)

Graeme

is it a crossover cable or a straight through you are using ? u need a
crossover for you set up

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
Old July 5th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dannyk

wrote:

Hi all

I am looking for help with a networking prob.
I have just tried to set up a pentium 166 running 98 networked to an
athlon2200 running XP.
I am using ethernet pci cards from dolphin , the cards are detected and
working fine , but on the athlon machine it is saying that the network

cable
is unplugged??? It isnt unplugged and is connected to both cards on both
comps.

Do i need a hub for two machines , i was told that i dont and can connect
them direct . What am i doing wrong ??

any help would be appreciated :-)

Graeme

is it a crossover cable or a straight through you are using ? u need a
crossover for you set up

Mmmm , the cable is a cat6 network patch cable ?? is that a cross over ?

graeme

Old July 5th 03, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 5 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "dannyk"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

is it a crossover cable or a straight through you are using ? u need a
crossover for you set up

Mmmm , the cable is a cat6 network patch cable ?? is that a cross over ?

graeme

Almost certainly not. You can get Cat6 crossover cables, however.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old July 5th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

dannyk wrote:
thanks for the help borg and dekay :-)
will get a crossover

You can get adaptors that just plug on the end and turn it into a crossover.
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old July 8th 03, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 8 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Falkon"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Normal cat 5 cables are usually blue.
Crossover cables are usually yellow.

All of my cat5 cables are black, red or grey. All of my crossover cables are
blue (except one, which is grey). This includes at work, where I have 400+
cat5 cables, and about 30 crossovers.

You can buy them in any colour you like.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC Name: deKay
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk AC Town: Sponge
Old July 8th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 8 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Roger Hunt
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

In article , deKay
writes

All of my cat5 cables are black, red or grey. All of my crossover cables are
blue (except one, which is grey). This includes at work, where I have 400+
cat5 cables, and about 30 crossovers.

Did you have the delightful job of labelling them all at each end, with
their destinations? :-)

For most of them, no - thankfully

deKay