Bluetooth

Old July 7th 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Davies

Default Bluetooth

Hi there,
I'm in the process of getting some new computers. I've heard abouyt
Bluetooth connectivity for linking in several machines plus mobiles, PDAs
etc.
Is it any good for a home network?

Thanks.

Martin

Old July 7th 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Davies

Thanks Chris.
How small is small?

I'm looking at a wireless network to connect up the 2 computers, plus 2 PDAs
and 2 phones (if necessary).
Maybe even games between the 2 computers, though that won't be often.

Martin

"Chris Buckley" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:44:33 +0100 and in article R9cOa.1445$2E2.796
@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Martin Davies said...
Is it any good for a home network?

For very small files, yes.

--
Chris Buckley

Old July 7th 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Davies

Sorry Chris - what is RJ45?

Martin

"Chris Buckley" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:30:02 +0100 and in article wQcOa.1774$2E2.1585
@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Martin Davies said...
Thanks Chris.
How small is small?

Well, BT goes around 5-10k/sec in my experience ...so take from that
what you will

It's useless for a LAN, but for the transferring of small files
(pictures, txt fiels etc) its fine. For anything else, RJ45 is the way
to go.

--
Chris Buckley

Old July 7th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Davies

Ok, thanks Chris - still new to all this.

Martin

"Chris Buckley" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:11:51 +0100 and in article JrdOa.2113$2E2.1907
@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Martin Davies said...
Sorry Chris - what is RJ45?

Ethernet cabling.
--
Chris Buckley

Old July 8th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
postmaster

"Chris Buckley" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:27:39 GMT and in article
, BRG said...
Chris Buckley wrote in news:1057578958.18880.0
@ersa.uk.clara.net:

For anything else, RJ45 is the way
to go.

..or WiFi (802.11*) wireless networking.

I disagree. WiFi is still too slow to be used for LAN application.
Internet, yes, fine. LAN, no.

--
Chris Buckley

Wired is better for speed, but as for convenience, then WiFi has a lot going
for it. Horses for courses I guess.

cheers

simon

Old July 10th 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Dann

You don't want bluetooth for networking computers. The range is about 10
metres and is a lot slower than wi-fi.

Work out what it is you want to do with the network. Transferring lots of
huge files? Go for cat5. Browsing the Internet, moving word files, opening
pdfs, printing on network printers? Wi-Fi is fast enough for all of these.

802.11g will be 54Mb (or is it 56Mb?!). Anyway, half the speed of cat5
means that you would be hard pushed to see a big difference in performance.

Mike.

Old July 10th 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Davies

Main purpose is sharing the odd file - though maybe play the odd game
between systems.

So what would I need for wi-fi?

Martin