Help! Modular Cat5 outlets

Old July 7th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kagey

Default Help! Modular Cat5 outlets

Hi folks!
Can someone ou there please help .... 1 PC upstairs & 3 PC's downstairs, all
running WinXP (1 also Linux).
Have installed cabling between the floors and am trying to install Connectix
(made by Carling Systems) Cat5 modular wall outlets - 1 upstairs for PC's to
connect to & 1 downstairs to link to the Unex 5 Port hub.
However I cannot for the life of me fathom out exactly how the wiring
physically connects to the outlets.
I have absolutely no problem with the colour coding as to which wire goes
where - but how the *#~* do I attach the wires?
Do they need stripping, or does the metal blade-type things do that as you
pressure the slim-jacketed cables into them?
I have tried Maplins where I bought them from, who haven't a clue, and there
is no indication on the packaging (despite the fact that it says
instructions included!!).

Maybe someone out there somewhere has the answer - before I go wireless -
having already done the hard bit.
Cheers for any help,
Karen

--
"I'm a long long way from yesterday
And with time my ideals change

Old July 8th 03, 01:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Forgot to mention: when you strip the outer casing and cut the wires to
length you should untwist them as little as possible - the twists help
reduce electrical interference.
Old July 8th 03, 09:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Parry

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:32:35 +0100, "Kagey"
wrote:

However I cannot for the life of me fathom out exactly how the wiring
physically connects to the outlets.

You might find
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/Installation/installation.html
useful although it is aimed at telephone wiring it illustrates how to
connect Cat 5. Don't forget to keep all the wire lengths in the
cable the same - don't trim pairs to different lengths, and untwist
only about a cm in each pair.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old July 8th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , kagey60
@REMOVETHIShotmail.com says...
Thanks guys!
A trip to B&Q has come up a treat.- a wonderful piece of plastic
engineering!
Using the right tool it took me about 5 mins to remove the previous mess &
install & get it up & running!
A darn sight better than struggling for about 3 hours last night!!!

Cool :-)