Newbie bridge/access point question

Old July 9th 03, 04:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Default Newbie bridge/access point question

In article , mforsyth90
@hotmail.com says...
Hi all

Can anyone tell me the difference between an Wireless access point and
a Wireless bridge?

A bridge is a device for connecting two network segments that can use
dissimilar media (different speed ethernets, wired/wireless, etc.). It
basically takes anything it receives on one side and sends it to the
other side if the destination is on the other side. It does this at the
hardware level, so there's no TCP/IP routing going on, just a learned
list of MAC (media access control) addresses, so it's smarter than an
unswitched hub or a repeater.

I am looking to connect two pieces of equipment (a PC and a PS2) to my
wireless network (which consists of a broadband router/modem a desktop
and a laptop). The new PC and PS2 are sited together so I can wire
them or go wireless. I have a hub and was wondering if I can connect
the PC and the PS2 to the hub and then then with a bridge/access point
connect to the rest of the wireless network. If so what should I use
an access point or a bridge?

Yes, a bridge will work fine for this.