should aol be listed in rfc-ignorant.org???

Old July 10th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Mike Scott

Default should aol be listed in rfc-ignorant.org???

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:29:28 +0100, Andrew Hodgson
wrote:

Mike Scott in :

"4.1.1.10 QUIT (QUIT)

This command specifies that the receiver MUST send an OK reply, and
then close the transmission channel."

Todays' transcipt of some failed email seems to show they give a 554
error in response to QUIT - or am I misreading the bounce message?

(reason: 554- (RTR:BB) The IP address you are using to connect to
AOL is a dynamic)

[...]

Actually the connection drops after that 5xx multiline response. By
the looks of it the MTA you are using doesn't seem to be coping with
the multiline response, or it didn't like the connection dropping in
this way.

You've puzzled me - doesn't the log clearly show aol repeatedly giving
a (5-line) 554 in response to my 'quit'? And it's my end that finally
closes?

This is sendmail, btw, v 8.12.6

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 11th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Mike Scott

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:52:07 +0100, Andrew Hodgson
wrote:
,...
You've puzzled me - doesn't the log clearly show aol repeatedly giving
a (5-line) 554 in response to my 'quit'? And it's my end that finally
closes?

Check the log of the MTA - it looks like it is repeatedly trying to
connect to the server and getting that immediate disconnect.

The log's long since rotated to nothingness. iirc though, there was
only the one connect attempt noted in it.

This is sendmail, btw, v 8.12.6

Thaught so - I am not sure why this is, although all the Sendmail
installations I have access to logs on are not affected by this
problem. Qmail certainly handles it ok here, though the message is
continuiously postponed until the maximum number of days is reached,
when it is bounced back with a message that it is not going to try
again.

Maybe I'll just not email anyone on aol ever again :-) It's easier!

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)