netgear WG 602 wap keeps "stopping"

Old July 16th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Juergen Jung

Default netgear WG 602 wap keeps "stopping"

"Alan" wrote in message ...
Thought you might like to know Netgears take on it :-)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Netgear Support. My name is Anurag & I will be
handling your enquiry.

The wireless signals depends on the surroundings. For 802.11b/g networks or
also known as 2.4 GHz wireless LANs, there are several sources of
interfering signals. The most damaging of these are 2.4 GHz wireless phones
that people are starting to use in many comes and some companies. If one of
these phones is in use within the same room as an 802.11b/g wireless LAN,
then potentially the 802.11b/g Wireless network and the phone can interfere
with one another resulting in a poor signal. In order to avoid the
interference, change the channel on the cordless phone or at the wireless
Access Point.

However to the study wireless connection with the devices we can try the
following steps:

1. Please place the Access point as high as possible.
2. Please check the settings on the Access point as well as wireless card,
like SSID, Channel and mode. Try changing the channels on the Access Point.
3. Please check for any wireless device operating in the 2.4 GHz spectrum,
including 2.4 GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens as well as neighboring
802.11b wireless LAN's.
4. Please try to disable the Encryption on both of the devices.
5. Make sure that you have disabled the built in Ethernet card if there is
any in the computer.

If the problem persists, you can assign the static IP address to the
wireless computer. Perform the instructions given below to assign the static
IP address on Windows 2000 / XP computer.

1. Click on Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network.
2. Go to local area connection properties for the ethernet card.
3. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP under General tab and click on
Properties.
4. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet mask as
255.255.255.0 and default gateway as 192.168.0.1
5. Also assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as 192.168.0.1 and
4.2.2.2 and click Ok and check the connectivity.

Perform the instructions given below to assign the static IP address on
Windows 98 / ME computer.

1. Click on Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network.
2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP for the Network Adapter under General tab
and click on Properties.
3. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet mask as
255.255.255.0
4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
5. Click on DNS Configurations and Enable DNS and type the host name and
assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as
192.168.0.1 and 4.2.2.2 under DNS Server Search Orderand click Ok and
restart the computer.

Regards

Anurag Seth
Netgear Support

"Markus Nebel" wrote in message
Hi,

I have the same problem since I've updated
the Firmware to Version 1.5.67.

I've "down-dated" again to Version 1.04.00
and the problems were gone. :-)

I hope the will be a better firmware available in a few days!

"Alan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Anyone else having this problem?
I have a Netgear WG602 WAP and have updated the firmware to the latest
version on the Netgear site.
This latest version os supposed to solve the problem of:
Modifications and Fixes

a.. Intersil 3890 crashed after running Chariot stress tests for 30 -

40
minutes
b.. Wireless client cannot ping the wireless router via WG602 using

the
same channel
c.. The system does not require rebooting when changing parameters

through
the Web interface except when changing the TCP/IP parameters.
d.. 10% performance degradation if user enabled WEP
e.. Station list did not reflect the actual connection status
Well, my unit STILL stalls after about an hour, and I lose the wireless

link
to my laptop.
Only thing that works is to unplug from the mains and wait 30 seconds.
Anyone else having this problem??

The latest firmware definitely causes all the trouble! I've indeed
wireless phones in the 2.4 GHz range, but never got any problems
before upgrading. I've not tried the described workaround, because it
makes absolutely no sense to me!

Back to to version 1.04.00, all works fine again.