What do I need to go broadband/wifi

Old July 17th 03, 02:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eric Cartman

Default What do I need to go broadband/wifi

Hi Gang

Will shortly be getting pipex broadband. And want to go wireless. What
Im looking for is a 'all in one box' solution i.e. I just plug the
phone connection into the box and I am ready to go. Assuming I need a
ADSL modem/router/wireless access point, is that all? Any
recommendations?

I'm a linux user which might complicate things although I understand I
can do wireless ethernet, if so is there an all-in-one available for
this?

Any linux bods out there wireless'd up? Im on Mandrake.

Cheers

EC
Old July 17th 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nathan Higgins

Installed one of these last week - easy to set up and works fine -
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG824M.asp

Perfect for the job - nice bit of kit.. bit pricy though.

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
WAP: http://wap.link9.net
[dot]NET: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

Old July 17th 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eric Cartman

BRG wrote in message
Installed one of these last week - easy to set up and works fine -
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG824M.asp

Yes I have this on my shortlist. You on Linux? Can I use a wireless
Lan card with this?

TIA

EC
Old July 18th 03, 03:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

(Eric Cartman) wrote in
om:

BRG wrote in message
Installed one of these last week - easy to set up and works fine -
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG824M.asp

Yes I have this on my shortlist. You on Linux? Can I use a wireless
Lan card with this?

I don't do Linux: minority platform + technically competent users =
little business for me. [no religious provocation intended!]

--
BRG
===
Old July 18th 03, 08:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eric Cartman

"Nathan Higgins" -spam wrote in message ...
Yes you can use wireless cards with Linux - google for a known compatability
list.

Is there a difference between a wireless Lan card and other cards,
i.e. PCI? Or are all cards actually Lan cards and there are just
different technologies behind them?

Cheers

EC
Old July 19th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brendan Cuffe

I've got to agree, I use a DG824M at home and also bought one for use in my
office and have found them easy to setup and use, just remember to upgrade
the software on it to the latest version (V1303 last time I looked)
available on their website as it sorts out a couple of glitches in the
software that it came with as purchased. As for price, I bought mine at
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/, the price was excellent and delivery was
prompt.

The only downside I've found with Netgear is technical support, it takes at
least an hour after they answer the phone before you actually get to speak
to anyone, then I think you get to speak to someone at a call centre in
India and my experience so far has been that they have never been able to
answer my query without speaking to another 6 people.

If you are looking for an alternative product, a friend of mine uses a
DrayTek Vigor 2600WE and swears by it. However it is a bit dearer than the
DG824M.

Brendan

"BRG" wrote in message
(Eric Cartman) wrote in