Major Netgear annoyance

Old July 17th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ken Thompson

Default Major Netgear annoyance

leo wrote in message ...

...snip...

I have two items of Netgear kit,

...snip...

Current top of the list problem for the FR114P is
that the print server does not function correctly.

Hmmm...sounds like MY problem, mate!

Unfortunately, I seemed to have inducted mine, as I unplugged
EVERYTHING prior to going on vacation for ~5 days. I came back,
plugged verything back in; powered up & had configuration issues with
getting the router to even communicate. A reboot of the router for
good measure seems to have gotten this on-line; just haven't yet got
the print server on-the-air (have a LaserJet 2100 on this end...)

I have installed the Netgear driver on the various PCs on my home
network (all Windows 98 SE) and in every case it finds the FR114P port.

Only difference this end is I'm using the orig edition of Win98...

Just changing the properties of the printer (an HP Deskjet 1220) to use
the FR114P port did not work for any PC. I eventually found that
uninstalling *all* HP software (ie the HP toolbox etc), deleting all
installed printers and then reinstalling a Generic / Text printer and
*then* the bare driver for the 1220 allows the various PCs on the
network to print. I also found that RIP had to be enabled for both the
DG814 and the FR114P.

I'm running straight from cable modem into the router, outputs of
router go to two machines.

That worked for a day or so. It has now stopped working. My query with
Netgear technical support has been booted up to second level technical
support but, after an hour or so listening to some *very* scratchy
Vivaldi, and with blood pressure levels dangerously high, I decided that
it would probably be more productive to ask this question of an informed
newsgroup. So, there you have it. Any ideas?

I'm not as far along as you are; I'll see what happens on my end.

Thanks..

--kw
Old July 21st 03, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
leo

In message , Ken
Thompson writes
[...]

Ken - I found out that it is sensitive not only to having RIP switched
on but also to which version of RIP you are using! Needs version 2 .....

--
leo