firewalls considered harmfull?????

Old July 17th 03, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry the Horse

Default firewalls considered harmfull?????

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
I've just chucked kpf off my two windows machines.

Having been using it for some time, and attributing delays in web page
access to my isp's proxy caches, I eventually realised that kpf was
the culprit. Removal speeded up loading of some web pages from
minutes to seconds - more than a factor 10. One machine (naturally
the one my wife uses :-} ) was affected much more than the other.
The problem appeared to be during the setting up of a connection; once
established, connections ran at full speed.

Before kpf (a year or more back), I'd tried zone alarm. That simply
totally screwed up network speed (although afaik no-one else has
reported major problems here).

Anyone else had this sort of problem? Ideas as to what's going on
please?

(btw, I do have another firewall between the net and these machines,
so the problem's not critical. But I'd like some protection against
outbound traffic from malware.)

Before I got my ADSL modem/router thingy, I used the Tiny software firewall.
It caused me no performance problems at all. Perhaps you might want to give
that one a go. It's free at www.tinysoftware.com.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

Old July 21st 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:46:31 +0100, "Harry The Horse"

Before I got my ADSL modem/router thingy, I used the Tiny software firewall.
It caused me no performance problems at all. Perhaps you might want to give
that one a go. It's free at www.tinysoftware.com.

Interesting. kpf is what was tpf till a year or so ago. The current
tpf I understood to be a totally new (and dubious) product.

I'll check out the new tpf just on the offchance - thanks for the
reminder - but the real puzzle to me is why I, and apparently not
others, have this problem of performance -- two machines and 3 OS
versions (98, 98SE, XP) affected by two different firewall products!

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 22nd 03, 03:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

While the latest arent free and trial ware, you may be able to pick up an
old version to do the job you want ,obtaining it from a magazine cover CD.
Allthough the program may then be seen as unlicneced if these conditions
were agreed to iniitally. If it works, it works, though the "call home"
facility on networks and programs make it hard to tell if it will work for
sure, and wont shut down the program.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)