Info Req On 10 Mbps Hub

Old July 19th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JKBK

Default Info Req On 10 Mbps Hub

Need some fast info on a purchase I`m looking at. A local computer store
here in Edmonton Canada is having a 2 day clearance on a network kit (hub, 2
nics,and cable).It`s a repack called Retail Plus with a Soho 5 port 10 MbpsT
ethernet hub.
I`m on highspeed cable that has about 300- 400 kbps (I think that`s
right)max download speed. I`m basically wondering if this is going to slow
down my internet as I am just getting into networking and dont fully grasp
all the differences yet.. It`s a really good deal at $40 Can and as I was
looking at $30 for cable and the nic for ICS on Win98 it seems perfect.
So what does everyone think? Will this give me fair service considering
the minute investment or should I just get another 10/100 nic (My cable
company already installed one on my old computer so for ICS I`ll need only
one as my new MB has onboard Lan) and the cable(Also will a plain Cat5 cable
do or do I need something special?). Also if you have any good revelant
links that would be great.
Thanks for any insight
Jeff
RCEME

Old July 19th 03, 12:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

I would go ahead with a 10/100 hub. While the 10 MHz hub's will be way more
than necessary for Internet speed you have access to, it will slow down file
transfers through other PCs through it if you have 10/100 NICs in your's and
others' machines.

. ca...