playing audio cds via a networked drive!

Old July 19th 03, 10:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Waqar Aziz

Default playing audio cds via a networked drive!

try videolan, (not tried myself) but it supposedly allows streaming of all sorts
of media files over a network

Waq

Rob Morley wrote:

In article ,
says...
hi

I have a laptop that I have just networked to my xp machine and i'd like to
be able to use the cd drive on the main unit to play audio cds, however i
can only ever use the drive to look at files and not play music!

is there any way to do this?

I guess you mean how can you play music on your laptop when the CD is in
the desktop CD drive. The easiest way I can think of is to rip the CD
to MP3, put the MP3s on a networked drive and play them on the laptop.
Presumably you wouldn't need to control the ripping remotely, as you
have to go to the desktop machine to load the CD anyway, so just stick
the CD in, start the ripper and go back to your laptop - by the time you
get there it might even have finished the first track.

If you listen to a lot of music on your computer you might want to rip a
load of MP3s (or Ogg, WMA, whatever) and burn them to CD, or just keep
them on the hard drive - many hours of listening without having to
change the disc, and lets face it, you won't be too fussy about quality
if you're listening on a laptop :-)