Not networking, just a wireless dialup

Old July 19th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Default Not networking, just a wireless dialup

I don't know everything, but I've never heard of a wireless device with a
modem inside that could plug right into a phone line. Usually would have to
have a PC with the modem, connect the PC to wireless network through
wireless access point.

"SG" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what I need to achieve the following: (PC World were
their normal knowledgable selves!)

I'm buying a laptop but want to browse the web wirelessly around the house
and garden using a dialup account. I don't want to network to another PC,
just to be able to dial my ISP over a wireless link to save having a phone
cable trailing across the room.

Staples told me an 802.11b Access Point could plug directly into the phone
line but the blurb on the box didn't seem to back this up. 11Mbps for a
56kpbs connection seems a bit wasteful too. I've found a BT DECT modem

(BT
OnAir 1800) for about 120, and I'm sure I've seen wireless phoneline
extenders but these tend to limit bandwidth to 33kpbs.

What's my best solution?

Stuart