wireless network help

Old July 19th 03, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Giovanni Nasillo

Default wireless network help

Hi
Can anyone please offer me some advice, I wish to connect up a home wireless
network so that my desktop pc can network with my notebook and share files
and printers etc and share my BTHome 500 broadband connection. My desktop pc
is running Win98SE and has two USB ports with a 4 port USB hub connected to
one at present and an alcatel ADSL modem connected to the other. My notebook
is running Win XP Home and has available ports for network cards etc.

I notice that BT recommend the Linkysys WUSB11 USB network adapter and a
Linksys WPC11 Network card. Are these products any good and easy to set up
and quite simply do they work well? These are available considerably cheaper
than through BT in BT unbranded versions and I am assuming both options are
the same?

What other options do I have and would you indeed recommend another option?

Does my desktop pc need to be both switched on and connected to internet for
my laptop to share the connection or can it connect up independently of my
desktop where the ADSL modem will be connected to., and can one surf
different web pages on my desktop and notebook simultaneously?

I know that the other option via BT is with the BT Voyager 2000 network ADSL
modem but with the USB adapter and laptop adapter the cost rises to £249. I
don't really wish to spend that much but is this a better option than the
Linksys option above? What will I gain for my money with this option.

I am a bit out of my depth on this so any guidance , advice and pushing in a
particular direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Giovanni

Old July 19th 03, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bluemax

Get a router I got the Linksys 54g through Amazon £100 ish.Works fantastic
and uses the new faster 11g which I would recommend.
Rgds David