Cheepest place to get a 305m box of UTP cable?

Old July 19th 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt Horn

Default Cheepest place to get a 305m box of UTP cable?

I've decided that the geek in me is going to put network cable through the
house, as I only rent I'm not going to put wall sockets in, just the cable
into each room with an RJ45 plug discretely located in a corner, which I can
extend with a female to female as needed.

Where is the best (read cheapest) online place to get a 305m box of UTP
cable (I guess this will be solid, unless stranded is cheap enough), a
decent ratchet crimp tool, and some RJ45 plugs? A tester may come in handy
too.

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated.

--
Matt
http://go.to/v-m

Old July 19th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nathan Higgins

www.valiantltd.demon.co.uk do crimps for 20

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
WAP: http://wap.link9.net
[dot]NET: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

Old July 19th 03, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt Horn

"Nathan Higgins" -spam wrote in message
Not sure if this is cheap..

http://www.universal-cables.co.uk/un...bulk-cable.htm

that's about 2.5X the amount I've found so far!

--
Matt BOD#3 BOTAFOS#4
Unattended children will be sold as slaves

Old July 19th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt Horn

"Nathan Higgins" -spam wrote in message
www.valiantltd.demon.co.uk do crimps for 20

when I looked it said 25, and doesn;t specify that they are ratchet, so
they are probably the cheap pants ones, thanks for the link though!

--
Matt BOD#3 BOTAFOS#4
http://go.to/v-m

Old July 20th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Fleming

In article , "Matt
Horn" writes:

Where is the best (read cheapest) online place to get a 305m box of UTP
cable (I guess this will be solid, unless stranded is cheap enough), a
decent ratchet crimp tool, and some RJ45 plugs? A tester may come in handy
too.

You could try the B&Q online store at www.diy.com - do a quick search
on "network". Half the price of the Universal Cable one, and if you
wanted to do less than 305m of cabling, there's 50m and 100m available
too.

--
Mike Fleming
Old July 25th 03, 01:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt Horn

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

It is more correct to fit sockets on the ends of the cable and then
use made-up patch cords. Then you don't need an RJ45 crimp tool.
You need a punch-down tool for the RJ45 socket terminations -- get
a good quality Krone one. I've had mine for years, but I don't think
they are anywhere near as expensive as good RJ45 crimp tools.

thanks for the info.. I believe it is also against the guidelines to use end
to end connectors like I plan to do, but hey my whole office runs fine with
them on pretty much every desk so I dont think it's a real problem so to
speak of. The only reason i'm not doing sockets is cus it's a rented house
and I dont really want to screw stuff to the wall.

Thanks again

--
Matt BOD#3 BOTAFOS#4
http://go.to/v-m