Telewest and Linksis

Old July 20th 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simmmy

Default Telewest and Linksis

I sent this mail to Telewest asking if this switch was ok to use with there
equipment but the reply i got back was`nt the answer i`d expected...they
thought i wanted them to install a network for me....I don`t, i just want to
know if cable modem works with this switch.Can someone tell me if this is ok
to use before i waste money on buying the wrong thing.

Below is the mail i sent to Telewest.

Simmmy

Hi ... i`m not a customer of Telewest but hopefully sometime in the near
future but could i ask a question regarding 'Home networking'. At the moment
i have 2 pc`s connected together using a cross-over cable but would like to
install a third pc to the network at Christmas, before then i want to have
broadband installed. I would like to know if your service supports this
Network switch i also plan to install.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=142

Many thanks,

Simmmy

Old July 20th 03, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , simmmy1964
@btinternet.com says...
[...]

If the Telewest cable modem uses ethernet (and it probably does) then it
should work - it's just a router after all. What you usually do is have
the cable guy hook up a single PC to cable, then when he's gone clone
the MAC address of that PC to the router and connect everything else.
Having said that, I've heard some less than favourable comments about
Linksys products - have you looked at alternatives?

Old July 20th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nathan Higgins

In a word, yes it will work.

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
WAP: http://wap.link9.net
[dot]NET: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

Old July 20th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cheeky

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:32:30 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , simmmy1964
says...
[...]

I use an Edimax router (from Aria) on ntl broadband and it works fine.
Hasn't crashed on me in the 8 months I've had it. I got a cheaper one
from CCL at first and it was rubbish - flaky software that killed your
connection.

Once the guy has finished just unplug the CM for a minute then when
it comes on line plug the router into it. Plug your PCs into the
router and you're away.
Old July 20th 03, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simmmy

Thanks all.

Simmmy

"Cheeky" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:32:30 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , simmmy1964
says...

Old July 20th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simmmy

Sorry.....1 more question.........using this linksys BEFSR41...can i also
get access to all 3 machines on the network for printer and file sharing?

Simmmy

"Simmmy" wrote in message
Thanks all.

Simmmy

"Cheeky" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:32:30 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , simmmy1964
says...

Old July 20th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , simmmy1964
@btinternet.com says...
Sorry.....1 more question.........using this linksys BEFSR41...can i also
get access to all 3 machines on the network for printer and file sharing?

No, you'll need a hub or switch to do that - the router just provides
NAT and firewalling, so that you can safely connect several machines to
the WAN with only one public IP address.