Change LAN IP on eTec ADSL Router PT-3810 (aka PT-3808 by Maplin)

Old July 21st 03, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mictho

Default Change LAN IP on eTec ADSL Router PT-3810 (aka PT-3808 by Maplin)

Hiya All!

I have bought a "eTec" ADSL Router from Maplin. It's quite ncie and
very good for the price range... 70. The only problem with it is that
you can't change the LAN ip of the beast! Its set to 10.0.0.2 and
whenever you try to change it some sort of bug (or is it on purpose)
sets the IP to something else (around 164....) and screws up the
internal IP Stack. The remedy is to reset the router by pressing the
little button on the rear cover of the device. I'm not a conformist,
so I tried to figure out how to overcome this... I tried upgrading the
firmware, but could only get the one for the PT-3808 (aka AMX-CA61E
from http://www.amigo.com.tw/download.htm), but it did not resolve the
LAN IP issue and screwed the reset button function! After installing
the firmware I have not been able to reset the device to the original
state by pressing the button, so be advised! As far as I know there is
no firmware upgrade around for the PT-3810. Now, there is another way
to do it though, and this is the purpose of this post.

The PT-3810 has an FTP server integrated so you can ftp to the device
and download a file called CONFIG.REG. (please note that if you use
command-line FTP, use the command "recv" instead of the usual "mget"
to download the file, because it kicks you out if you try to use
"mget". Download that file and make a backup of it, be advised! Then
edit it with Notepad (for windoze) or simply VI on *nix. You will find
the LAN IP settings in several places in the text file... Change them
all to what you want it to (IP & Netmask please!), and save the file
as CONFIG-2.REG (or just slightly different from the original) and
then copy the file onto the router via FTP bu using the command "put"
c:\path\to\where\the\file\is... (or use lcd
c:\path\to\where\the\file\is and then just do put CONFIG-2.REG). Once
you have the file on the router rename the original CONFIG.REG to
CONFIG.REG.bkp and then rename the CONFIG-2.REG file you've just
uploaded to CONFIG.REG. Now go and hard-reboot the router by using the
on/off button. Once the router is back up it'll take on the new
IP/Netmask if you have done everything right... Please note that
you'll also have to change the NIC's IP/Netmask to which the router is
connected, otherwise they won't see each other...

AND BTW: If you are lucky and get more than one static IP from your
ISP, like Zen does it, then you can obviously give your routers LAN
Interface a public IP, just don't use the IP that is given to you for
the ppp0 Interface... don't confuse that. If you do that (like I
did...) you router won't be able to setup a ppp link to your ISP
untill you change these settings to what they meant to be.

That all!

Happy hacking to all!

If you have any questions please drop me a few lines at
(please do NOT send ANY Spam! I already get
enough of that... Thanks!
Old July 21st 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
says...
Hiya All!

I have bought a "eTec" ADSL Router from Maplin. It's quite ncie and
very good for the price range... 70. The only problem with it is that
you can't change the LAN ip of the beast! Its set to 10.0.0.2 and
whenever you try to change it some sort of bug (or is it on purpose)
sets the IP to something else (around 164....) and screws up the
internal IP Stack.

ROFLAMO..They're less than 60 from local PC shop.

Err yes you can change it. Try reading the ****ing manual. Fire up a
web browser and go to
http://10.0.0.1 , entering the admin username and
password. Click on Configuration, LAN. Enter the new IP address at the
top. Click on Submit at the bottom then go into Configuration, Save
settings and reboot the Router. I run mine on 192.168.0.1

The remedy is to reset the router by pressing the
little button on the rear cover of the device. I'm not a conformist,
so I tried to figure out how to overcome this... I tried upgrading the
firmware, but could only get the one for the PT-3808 (aka AMX-CA61E
from http://www.amigo.com.tw/download.htm), but it did not resolve the
LAN IP issue and screwed the reset button function! After installing
the firmware I have not been able to reset the device to the original
state by pressing the button, so be advised! As far as I know there is
no firmware upgrade around for the PT-3810. Now, there is another way
to do it though, and this is the purpose of this post.

You used firmware NOT INTENDED FOR THIS ROUTER so basically you've
****ed it. Bit like flashing a mobo with the wrong BIOS. It'll work
sort of if it'sd the same chipset but it won't be fully functional.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________
Old July 22nd 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Yates

Mictho wrote:

Hiya All!

I have bought a "eTec" ADSL Router from Maplin. It's quite ncie and
very good for the price range... 70. The only problem with it is that
you can't change the LAN ip of the beast! Its set to 10.0.0.2 and
whenever you try to change it some sort of bug (or is it on purpose)
sets the IP to something else (around 164....) and screws up the
internal IP Stack. The remedy is to reset the router by pressing the
little button on the rear cover of the device. I'm not a conformist,

OK don't be a conformist in most things, but if you choose an ip-address
at random, it may belong to someone in the Pentagon and you could get a
visit from stern men in trench coats.
The permitted "private" ip-addresses a-
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

which gives you a choice of 17,891,322 addresses - enough?

--
Have fun,
Mike

Old July 23rd 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mictho

Guys,

I'm not a comformist, neither am I retarded... I've been working in
networking for more than 5 years and I know how to change an IP... :-/

Do you really think I would go through all this trouble of downloading
and editing the CONFIG.REG file if I *could* actually change the IP
via the web interface???

I simply can't do it and I thought that I might get some help here...
but it seems that it's easier to take the nick than actually give some
constructive advice to somebody, right?

Oh well, I'll keep on trying till I find the solution...

Thanks anyways,

Mich