Strange adapter problem

Old July 22nd 03, 05:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

Default Strange adapter problem

I've just finished building a new computer, and its exhibiting a
strange problem.

The setup:
PC (broadband enabled via NIC), and with ICS
Laptop
WLAN consisting of a PCMCIA card in the laptop, USB wireless in the
PC, and a WAP between the two

On the old setup this all worked OK. The new PC includes the NIC and
the USB wireless adapters that were previously in use in the old
machine. Win XP all round

The problem:
The internet on the new machine works fine as long as I don't have the
USB wireless adapter plugged into the PC. When I plug in the USB
adapter, the internal network works OK with file sharing, but the
internet connection disappears completely - unavailable on *either*
machine. Simply unplug the USB wireless adapter and the internet comes
back on the host PC (but obviously with the network now unavailable,
no internet on the laptop)

I've looked in the device manager, and there are no conflicts on
either of these devices. There is a yellow question mark under "Other
devices/Ethernet controller" which I think is the onboard LAN that I'm
not using on the motherboard (Asus P4P800)

Any suggestions on how to get both adapters working at the same time?

Cheers

Brian

Old July 22nd 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , harry8611
@hotmail.com says...

[...]

I'd guess you're using the same IP address for both the NIC and the WAP.
Old July 22nd 03, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:28:03 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , harry8611
says...

[...]

No, alreay checked that. Completely different. The internal network is
on 192.168.0.1 and the NIC has the IP address advised by the ISP

Brian