IP addresses

Old July 23rd 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

Default IP addresses

I ought to know the answer to this but....

My domestic network runs in the 192.168 etc etc band of IP addresses.

My wife has just acquired a laptop from her work, (Centrino with a
built in wireless adapter) which has an IP address in the 169.254 etc
etc range.

Its been setup so that she doesn't have administrator access to change
the IP address

Will it connect to my network as it is? (ie, is the difference in the
IP addresses a terminal problem?) The reason I ask is that it doesn't,
but I don't know if this is the problem, or whether there's something
else to look for. It seems to give every indication of *finding* the
network, (showing good signal strength etc etc), but it won't ping and
it won't file share

Cheers

Brian
Old July 23rd 03, 02:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

bigbrian wrote in
:

I ought to know the answer to this but....

My domestic network runs in the 192.168 etc etc band of IP
addresses.

My wife has just acquired a laptop from her work, (Centrino with
a built in wireless adapter) which has an IP address in the
169.254 etc etc range.

Its been setup so that she doesn't have administrator access to
change the IP address

Will it connect to my network as it is? (ie, is the difference
in the IP addresses a terminal problem?) The reason I ask is
that it doesn't, but I don't know if this is the problem, or
whether there's something else to look for. It seems to give
every indication of *finding* the network, (showing good signal
strength etc etc), but it won't ping and it won't file share

Cheers

Brian

You need to add the SSID and WEP encryption key settings of your
wireless network to those of the laptop as an acceptable
alternative network. That should enable pinging to work. However,
as you can't change TCP/IP settings, I'd hazard a guess that the
wireless network settings are also locked down.

--
BRG
===
Old July 23rd 03, 02:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , bigbrian
writes

I ought to know the answer to this but....

My domestic network runs in the 192.168 etc etc band of IP addresses.

My wife has just acquired a laptop from her work, (Centrino with a
built in wireless adapter) which has an IP address in the 169.254 etc
etc range.

Its been setup so that she doesn't have administrator access to change
the IP address

Will it connect to my network as it is? (ie, is the difference in the
IP addresses a terminal problem?) The reason I ask is that it doesn't,
but I don't know if this is the problem, or whether there's something
else to look for. It seems to give every indication of *finding* the
network, (showing good signal strength etc etc), but it won't ping and
it won't file share

The 169.254 range is one used by recent Microsoft products. It was
originally intended for use on networks with no DHCP servers. Machines
with dynamic addresses will adopt an address in that range if they can't
find a DHCP server. If your wife's machine is configured for dynamic
addressing then you can fix the problem by putting a DHCP server on your
network. If the machine has been configured with a static address in the
169.254 range then the solution is for you to change all of your
machines to have static addresses in that range.

--
Bernard Peek