NTL Home Network??

Old July 25th 03, 04:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stan

Default NTL Home Network??

Hi guys

We have an NTL monthly Dial-up connection account, which we use to
connect a couple of other computers via Ethernet cards to the
internet.

It was all working fine till yesterday afternoon, except for a few
issues with sending emails, and then the child computers just dropped
the connection, they can still see the parent computer (which connects
to the internet fine) and can share files fine, but just won't connect
to the net.

No settings have been changed.

I have seen posts about NAT and NoN NAT, but from what i can gather
this is just for sending data, hence the problem with emails, but is
this the reason for the complete net lock out?

We can only assume that NTL did something, is this possible? and if so
is there any way round it?

Regards

Stan
Old July 26th 03, 04:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Stan" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys

We have an NTL monthly Dial-up connection account, which we use to
connect a couple of other computers via Ethernet cards to the
internet.

It was all working fine till yesterday afternoon, except for a few
issues with sending emails, and then the child computers just dropped
the connection, they can still see the parent computer (which connects
to the internet fine) and can share files fine, but just won't connect
to the net.

No settings have been changed.

I have seen posts about NAT and NoN NAT, but from what i can gather
this is just for sending data, hence the problem with emails, but is
this the reason for the complete net lock out?

Same thing's happened to me, only I use broadband. Cannot for the life of me
figure it out. XP Pro on main, W98Se on spur.

Marcus

Old July 26th 03, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Marcus Fox wrote:

"Stan" wrote in message
[...]

I can't see how this can be anything to do with NTL. It isn't possible
to determine whether a packet comes from the directly connected machine
or a NATed client, all appear to come from the router. I don't use
Windows ICS, I use OpenBSD and pf, but I don't see why it should be any
different in this respect, there's really only one way to do it.

All my NAT clients are still working on my NTL cable connection.

I suspect it's coincidence, something has got broken in both your config
and the OP's. IME things can break in Windows without your having to
change anything deliberately.

Regards, Ian
Old July 26th 03, 03:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , [email protected]
from-hell.demon.co.uk says...
snip

I suspect it's coincidence, something has got broken in both your config
and the OP's. IME things can break in Windows without your having to
change anything deliberately.

That's one of the joys of setting Windows Update to automatic :-)

Good grief, I have never risked doing that!

If the people having trouble have this enabled on the router machine it
could explain things. If MS issued some update which caused a problem
with ICS and both their machines applied it at around the same time, it
could have caused them both to break apparantly coincidentally.

But of course we don't know for sure that the OP is running Windows,
perhaps he'll let us know.

Regards, Ian