Thanks for your advice - how about a little more ?

Old July 25th 03, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Cook

Default Thanks for your advice - how about a little more ?

Thanks for your responses to my last post. I could do with a little more
advice now though.

I have networked my laptop and desktop via a crossover cable and everything
is working fine with the exception of the Internet Connection Sharing. This
works until I switch on the firewall on the host machine - I have configured
it on both machines (ZoneAlarm) so that each network card is in the trusted
zone and file sharing is not being interfered with. However, when I try to
access the internet from the laptop through the desktop's connection when
the firewall is up and running it just won't have it. I have looked at all
the options and cant see how to fix it and I don't really want to run
without a firewall when online.

Any suggestions ? (Desktop is Windows XP and Laptop is 98SE)

Old July 26th 03, 10:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Cook

Hi

If you're using the free version of ZA then you need to set your Internet
Zone to Medium Security on the ICS host. ZA free doesn't support ICS at
High security level. You get the same level of protection as High with the
exception that port scans show your ports as closed/blocked rather thatn
the Stealth you'd get at High. You can leave the Internet Zone setting at
High on the ICS Client PC.

Superb, just tried it - everything is working now.

Thanks a lot.