Not networking, just a wireless dialup

Old July 26th 03, 11:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Not networking, just a wireless dialup

Check out Apple's range of Airport base stations, Apple provide a Windows
configuration utility.
There is an excellent write-up in July's issue of MacUser.
"BRG" wrote in message
"SG" wrote in
:

Can anyone tell me what I need to achieve the following: (PC
World were their normal knowledgable selves!)

I'm buying a laptop but want to browse the web wirelessly around
the house and garden using a dialup account. I don't want to
network to another PC, just to be able to dial my ISP over a
wireless link to save having a phone cable trailing across the
room.

Staples told me an 802.11b Access Point could plug directly into
the phone line but the blurb on the box didn't seem to back this
up. 11Mbps for a 56kpbs connection seems a bit wasteful too.
I've found a BT DECT modem (BT OnAir 1800) for about 120, and
I'm sure I've seen wireless phoneline extenders but these tend
to limit bandwidth to 33kpbs.

What's my best solution?

Stuart

1) Orinoco RG-1000 will do it.

2) Some of the broadband wireless routers have a serial port that can be
configured, with an external modem, to provide dial-up as a backup

connection.

3) The BT On-Air 1800 does the biz, and is not too bad price-wise if you

take
into account, you get a free DECT cordless phone and digital answering

machine
with it ;-).

Options 1) and 2) are over-specified and rather pricey if it's just the

one
laptop you want to connect.

The downside of option 3) is that its a technology dead-end - no upgrade
capability and hardly a mainstream product. If you go for it, make sure

you
download the latest drivers for Windows XP - the XP drivers supplied do

not
work.

--
BRG