problem streaming video over network

Old July 26th 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
flash

Default problem streaming video over network

I have a wired home network currently with 3 pcs in my upstairs office
(including the "main" pc) and have recently added a further pc, which is
only being used for multimedia and is connected to my tv in downstairs
lounge.

They are all linked to the network using a Lynksis 4 port router (which
also connects to my broadband modem) and I have complete access to all the
pcs from each other, so its working well.

The problem I am getting is playing mpeg or avi files stored on my main pc
- they play fine through the 2 adjacent pcs but the multimedia plays the
files very jerkily and the sound and video eventually go out of sync.

This appears to improve on second playing as if its a cache/buffer
problem. I use Power DVD as my main player but have also tried playing
through every other player I could find (including windows media and I
changed the buffer) but none play any better

The cable is 65 feet, although I don't see why that should make a
difference.

All the pcs are running XP Pro. The multimedia pc is running a Cougar pci
video card and I am wondering whether that is the problem (the others all
have agp Nvidia or Radeon cards).

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Flash