NTL Broadband Internet Connection Sharing

Old July 26th 03, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael George

Default NTL Broadband Internet Connection Sharing

Hi,
I have a 2 PC network (both Win 2k), which works fine as far as file and
printer share, but the Internet connection sharing won't work. The second
NIC in the main PC does not pick up a default gateway when internet
connection sharing is checked. - Any ideas?

Mike

Old July 27th 03, 04:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Michael George" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a 2 PC network (both Win 2k), which works fine as far as file and
printer share, but the Internet connection sharing won't work. The second
NIC in the main PC does not pick up a default gateway when internet
connection sharing is checked. - Any ideas?

Mike

Here's another one folks! See the NTL home network post, 25/07 15:09

Marcus

Old July 27th 03, 09:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Michael George" wrote in
:

Hi,
I have a 2 PC network (both Win 2k), which works fine as

far as
file and printer share, but the Internet connection

sharing
won't work. The second NIC in the main PC does not pick

up a
default gateway when internet connection sharing is

checked. -

Set ICS on then do a controlled restart.
1) Shut down both PCs and power off the CM/STB.
2) Power up the CM/STB and wait until it has stabilised.
3) Power up the main PC and wait for everything to finish
starting up
4) Power up the second PC.

--
BRG
===
Old July 27th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Marcus Fox wrote:

"Michael George" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a 2 PC network (both Win 2k), which works fine as far as file and
printer share, but the Internet connection sharing won't work. The second
NIC in the main PC does not pick up a default gateway when internet
connection sharing is checked. - Any ideas?

Mike

Here's another one folks! See the NTL home network post, 25/07 15:09

I still don't believe that there is anything which NTL could do which
would stop sharing from working whatever sharing tool is employed. They
all do the same thing.

One thing occurs to me. I think NTL are supposed to give you some
connection software aren't they? They never delivered mine, nor the
ethernet-to-USB thingy which I was supposed to get, but as I had no
intention of using either I didn't chase this up so I don't have a copy.
Is it possible that this software interferes with ICS? If so the
solution is not to use it, it is not required. All that is needed to set
up an NTL cable connection is a DHCP client and a web browser.

Another vague possibility is if MS ICS does something even more bizarre
than MS products normally do and somehow renders itself detectable. I
really can't think of any way it could do this and still work though.

Can anyone here confirm that they have ICS working on an NTL connection?

Regards, Ian
Old July 28th 03, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael George

Thanks for the advice, tried 3 x but still no joy. Infact as soon as I set
ICS I loose network connection and am unable to restore it with automatic
settings.
Mike
"BRG" wrote in message
"Michael George" wrote in
:

Old July 28th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Rob Morley wrote in
:

In article ,
says...
Thanks for the advice, tried 3 x but still no joy. Infact as
soon as I set ICS I loose network connection and am unable to
restore it with automatic settings.
Mike

You are letting it run DHCP rather than setting IP addresses
manually, aren't you?

OK, let's try again with more detail and fewer assumptions on my part
:-)

Physical Setup
==============

_PC1_ PC2
STB | | |
/CM--------NIC1 NIC2--------NIC3

Software Setup
==============
1) Set TCP/IP to DHCP for NIC1
2) Set ICS on for NIC1 N.B. not NIC2 !!!
3) Set TCP/IP to DHCP for NIC3
4) Shut down both PC1 and PC2, and power off the CM/STB.
4a) Wait for 30 seconds.
5) Power up the CM/STB and wait until it has stabilised.
6) Power up PC1 and wait for it to finish starting up
7) Power up PC2.

Basic Testing:
==============
8) On PC1, open a DOS command box and type PING YAHOO.COMenter

You should see something like this:
C:\WINDOWSping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [66.218.71.198] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 66.218.71.198:

C:\WINDOWS

9) Repeat 8) on PC2, which should give a similar result.

If 8) and 9) both work, you have cracked it. If not ...

Provide Diagnostic Info:
========================
10) On PC1, open (or re-use) a command box and type
IPCONFIG /ALLenter
Select the text and paste it back here as a reply.

11) Repeat step 10) on PC2.

--
BRG
===
Old July 28th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Michael George" wrote in
:

thanks again, diagnostics included:

begin 666 clip_image002.jpg

Attachment decoded: clip_image002.jpg
`
end

Michael,

Please would you use the following revised versions of steps 10)
and 11):

Provide Diagnostic Info:
========================
10) On PC1, open a fresh command box and type
IPCONFIG /ALLenter
Right-click anywhere inside the DOS window and select 'Select All'
from the drop-down menu, then press return

Open a reply to this thread and paste, which should paste the text
from your command box into the reply.

11) Repeat step 10) on PC2 and paste as a separate reply.

--
BRG
===
Old July 28th 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

phoenix wrote in
:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:36:55 +0100, Michael George wrote:

thanks again, diagnostics included:

snip

Hi

If that's the PC connected to your CM/STB then you have no
connection to the NTL DHCP severs as you're not picking up a
valid IP address.

snip

Can't be certain but it looks like PC2 to me, because it only has
one NIC fitted. I've requested Michael has another go at the
IPCONFIG stuff, see my separate response.

--
BRG
===
Old July 28th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael George

sorry about the binary. - IP details follow - incidentally I have Norton
Personal Firewall installed on both PC's

Appreciate the help

Mike

C:\ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP1

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Allied Telesyn AT-2500TX (with
Magic

Packet) PCI Ethernet Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-84-25-86-06

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.85.175

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter The Internet connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Allied Telesyn AT-2500TX (with
Magic

Packet) PCI Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-84-25-62-45

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

194.168.4.100

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 July 2003 17:14:09

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 July 2003 09:32:37

C:\ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP2

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kingston EtheRx PCI 10/100 Fast
Ethe

rnet Adapter(KNE120TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-F0-54-BE-D3

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.250.88

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

"BRG" wrote in message
"Michael George" wrote in
: