Process termination through the network

Old July 27th 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zantafio

Default Process termination through the network

When my computer crashes, more than often, only the Keyboard and the mouse
are frozen.
The traffic through the network is kept correct.

I'd like to safely turn the crashed PC off through the network, taking the
commands from the server.

What piece of software shall I install ?

TIA

Hope I'm not OT.

--
http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/eesucks/

Old July 27th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
When my computer crashes, more than often, only the Keyboard and the mouse
are frozen.
The traffic through the network is kept correct.

I'd like to safely turn the crashed PC off through the network, taking the
commands from the server.

What piece of software shall I install ?

What operating systems are you using?
For Win9x you could try RemoteShut:
http://www.ykwong.com/rs.html - this
is very small and simple - no installation required.
For the NT family use "shutdown" (from the Resource Kit with NT and 2K,
included in the XP installation) or try PsShutdown:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...shutdown.shtml
Old July 27th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zantafio

Thanks for your answer, I'm gonna go to these sites and keep the group
informed.
I'm running win98 on all computers.

--
http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/eesucks/
"Rob Morley" a écrit dans le message news:
In article ,

says...

Old July 29th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Blundell

In article , Rob Morley
writes
For Win9x you could try RemoteShut: http://www.ykwong.com/rs.html - this
is very small and simple - no installation required.

Thanks for this pointer. I have tried it out and it works. I have
found a difficulty with it and I wondered whether you knew a way round
it. I have installed the server on a PC that I start by Wake On Lan on
the NIC.

I put RemoteShut in the start menu. However it seems to need human
intervention as it starts in idle mode, and it needs to be in Server
Started mode before it will respond to the remote command. It seems the
only way to achieve this is by clicking the Start button with the mouse
in the remote application.

All I am trying to do is start the remote PC by WOL, upload or download
files over the Windows network and then shut it down. For the time
being I have the BIOS on the remote PC set to power down after 20
minutes idle, but that is rather a brute force method, and when I
restart the PC, Windows 98 whinges and runs Scandisk.

--
John Blundell
Old July 29th 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , says...
In article , Rob Morley
writes
[...]

Append " start" to the Target string in the shortcut that you're running
in the Startup folder.
Old July 29th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Blundell

In article , Rob
Morley writes

I put RemoteShut in the start menu. However it seems to need human
intervention as it starts in idle mode, and it needs to be in Server
Started mode before it will respond to the remote command. It seems the
only way to achieve this is by clicking the Start button with the mouse
in the remote application.

Append " start" to the Target string in the shortcut that you're running
in the Startup folder.

Just the job. Thanks.

--
John Blundell