What hardware for this?

Old July 27th 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PhilM

Default What hardware for this?

Hi all
Could someone please outline for me *EXACTLY* what I will need to do the
following, I mean, down to the cables, NIC cards etc........

I want to wirelessly link up 2 machines (at present).....

I Have my main PC downstairs with Win XP Pro, this is the one I will have my
ADSL connected directly to.

I have another PC upstairs in the spare bedroom with Win XP pro on it, no
modem at all, No NIC card - nothing!

All I want to do is be able to get BB on the upstairs PC, the same as the
downstairs one.The file sharing extra's will be a bonus - it's the BB sharing
that's the most important thing here.

At the moment, I have no Networking kit whatsoever, in any machine. No on-
board LAN, NIC cards anywhere - a total newbie, starting from scratch.I've
yet to decide on my ISP for BB which I will be able to get in October!

If at all possible, if someone has a particular modem/router combo that
works, and was a synch to set up (bearing in mind, I'm a total networking
newbie - but not a PC newbie!) - this would be a great help if you could
recommend what model/brand you have set up.

I'm slightly concerned about the quirkiness of wireless networking. It seems
that even you experts have trouble setting up the particular pieces of kit to
"talk" to one another.
With me being a bit of a Networking 'thickie' - will it be too much for poor
ol' me?
I've been looking at the powerline method of networking - purely because it
seems to be more *foolproof*
Any opinions on this ...... though my *set up* request would be first on the
list if possible as I'd prefer to go this way,...... if it was not too
difficult!
Many thanks in advance if you can stop my head from spinning ....
Old July 28th 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PhilM

Hi Mike, thanks for your help and taking the time to reply.

With regard to the points you have made, please see my replies ...

1) You must have a "router" because the ADSL supplier (BT?) will only
deal with one computer and a router "masquerades" many PCs as one.

I didn't know that - I thought a router was just to be able to "share out"
the connection.

2) It is convenient to have an independent ADSL modem/router because
that way you won't have to have the downstairs PC runing to use BB
upstairs.

I've read about ICS and though my main PC downstairs is usually on 90% of the
time, it would be nice to have the facility of not having to have it switched
on, just to access the net from upstairs, so I was thinking of a seperate
stand alone modem/router anyway.

You say the ADSL will be connected "directly" to your
downstairs PC - not a good idea.

Sorry, when I said 'directly' - I meant that that is the PC next to the phone
extension I'll be using for ADSL. The one upstairs is nowhere near a
telephone socket!

3) For wireless networking you need a Wireless Access Point (WAP), not
just two adaptors, and it is cheaper to have this built into your
modem/router, but you can still connect the downstairs PC by cable,
which is cheaper if not as convenient.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=317

I've had look at the link you gave and though it sounds ideal, as I'm
starting from scratch with buying everything, I was hoping to get the faster
802.11g standard, as we're only talking an extra 30 quid to get the extra
speed, the 'b' speed is not a problem with browsing the net and things, but
there would be a significant advantage in having the 'g' when I want to
transfer say a full 128mb CF card's worth of pics from one PC to the other!
The only thing is, there wasn't an all in one box for the 'g' standard yet,
you have to have seperate modem and router boxes which would clutter up
things a bit plus I might have difficulties getting them to "talk" to each
other, judging by probs other people have had in setting things up and I'm a
total novice at networking.

4) I have not experienced powerline networking at first hand but I'm
fairly sure it's no easier to set up than wireless. I have set up
powerline intercoms though and they are quite problematic. Some power
substations are not compatible or too noisy. I would expect it to be
quite slow, though I've heard in Scotland it is being set up for
broadband access, with special bridges to bypass the substations.

I've been reading reports on the powerline method, and though it's only about
7mb/s, it's the simplicity and reliabilty of it that appealed to me. I read
Mr Saffron's (Andrew) - review on ADSLGuide; http://tinyurl.com/i9fi and his
review highlighted the fact how easy it was to set up - taking only 2-3 mins!

Thanks again for yor help. I'd be interested to hear if you can add anything
to the comments I've made!

Regards
Phil