Does Zonealarm Effect A Network?

Old July 28th 03, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rich

Default Does Zonealarm Effect A Network?

I have a desktop (XP home) and laptop (XP home) networked with a crossover
cable and can access the internet from both only when I exit Zonealarm (free
version). I have been told that this is a problem if you use ZA freeware
version, but is not a problem if you are running ZA Pro. Any knowledge or
experiences with regards to this would be appreciated.

TIA

Rich

Old July 28th 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
aardvark99

The free version only works with a single PC. If you are using one PC with
internet sharing for another (as in your case) you either need to buy the
Pro Version of use an alternative free firewall that does support multiple
PCs. I too found this out the hard way!

Old July 28th 03, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

aardvark99 said this...
The free version only works with a single PC.

I would dispute this. I have 2 pc's networked through a Linksys router. The
98se box is running the free ZA while the XP box has ZAPro. They are chatting
together perfectly and also both access the 'net without issues.
I believe you have to adjust the security zones to get this to work. Anybody
else remember what to do?

--
~ dvd ~
Old July 28th 03, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rich

"phoenix" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:05:43 GMT, Groove wrote:

aardvark99 said this...
The free version only works with a single PC.

I would dispute this. I have 2 pc's networked through a Linksys router.

The
98se box is running the free ZA while the XP box has ZAPro. They are

chatting
together perfectly and also both access the 'net without issues.
I believe you have to adjust the security zones to get this to work.

Anybody
else remember what to do?

Hi

Yes, you need to set the 'Internet Zone' to Medium on the ICS host for the
client to get out. The Internet Zone can stay at high on the client and

not
affect it's ability to get to the internet. That is, of course, for the
free version and ZA Pro doesn't have that problem.

HTH

Regards

Bill

thanks for your help

Rich

Old July 29th 03, 07:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Rich said this...

thanks for your help

but do we have a result?

--
~ dvd ~
Old July 29th 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rich

"Groove" wrote in message
Rich said this...

thanks for your help

but do we have a result?

--
~ dvd ~

I have set ZA to medium on the host and I can access the internet with both
computers,

thanks

Rich

Old August 3rd 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DayDragon

"Rich" wrote in message

"Groove" wrote in message
but do we have a result?

I have set ZA to medium on the host and I can access the internet with both
computers

Just out of interest but did you add the 2nd (non internet) PC to the Hosts
"Trusted" list on ZA? (and vice versa w/ host as trusted on 2nd PC's list)?