BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-comp-home-networking-uk-home/)
-   -   Process termination through the network (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/23134-re-process-termination-through-network.html)

Zantafio July 28th 03 07:46 PM

Process termination through the network

Thanks for the help. As promised yesterday here is the report.

Well, psshutdown isn't functioning on win98 machines, too bad !

Remote shut is detected and deleted from the disk as soon as it is launched
!-(
Needed to download twice !

I tried to deactivate the protection before installing it and reactivating
it after. It detects it again and deletes it from the disk.
No way to disable selectively the protection .

At least, I did the experience my protection works fine !

Any other clues ?

In article ,
says...
When my computer crashes, more than often, only the Keyboard and the mouse
are frozen.
The traffic through the network is kept correct.

I'd like to safely turn the crashed PC off through the network, taking the
commands from the server.

What piece of software shall I install ?

What operating systems are you using?
For Win9x you could try RemoteShut:
http://www.ykwong.com/rs.html - this
is very small and simple - no installation required.
For the NT family use "shutdown" (from the Resource Kit with NT and 2K,
included in the XP installation) or try PsShutdown:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...shutdown.shtml
--
http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/eesucks/

Rob Morley July 29th 03 03:34 AM

Process termination through the network

In article ,
says...
Thanks for the help. As promised yesterday here is the report.

Well, psshutdown isn't functioning on win98 machines, too bad !

I did say it was NT only ...

Remote shut is detected and deleted from the disk as soon as it is launched
!-(
Needed to download twice !

I tried to deactivate the protection before installing it and reactivating
it after. It detects it again and deletes it from the disk.
No way to disable selectively the protection .

I noticed on the website that it mentions some AV software reports a
false positive on it - it worked fine for me.

At least, I did the experience my protection works fine !

If you consider reporting false positives to be working fine :-)

Any other clues ?

How about this one:
http://www.webattack.com/get/shutitup.shtml
I can't test it properly because I'm having problems with one of my
machines, but it works fine on localhost.