BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-comp-home-networking-uk-home/)
-   -   can this be done? (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/23135-can-done.html)

Shelley July 29th 03 10:38 AM

can this be done?

I have a notebook computer here that has internet access via NTL cable
modem. No problems there

I have just bought a brand new Dell tower system that has two NIC's
installed and have been given an old Netgear DS104 dual speed hub.

What I would like to do is keep the notebook as a gateway and have the Dell
running as client. I know that with the Dell having two Nic's, ICS won't be
a problem but the other way around?

Both comps run XP Pro.

TIA

Shelley A

Mike Faithfull July 29th 03 11:16 AM

can this be done?

"Shelley" wrote in message
I have a notebook computer here that has internet access via NTL cable
modem. No problems there

I have just bought a brand new Dell tower system that has two NIC's
installed and have been given an old Netgear DS104 dual speed hub.

What I would like to do is keep the notebook as a gateway and have the

Dell
running as client. I know that with the Dell having two Nic's, ICS won't

be
a problem but the other way around?

Not sure why you mention having two NICs in the Dell, Shelley. I run ICS on
a Dell desktop (WinXP), with a laptop (Win2K) and a home-brewed (Win95)
desktop all peer-to-peer networked via a small cheap hub. My Dell machine is
the gateway. No reason in your setup why the gateway shouldn't be on the
laptop instead of the Dell as far as I can see. Does any of this change
materially if you run client/server instead of a peer network? (I'm not
implying "this doesn't change ..." I'm asking 'cos I don't know!) Or do you
mean "client" only for ICS .. in which case you will have the same setup as
me .. and we know that works ......... ?

Shelley July 29th 03 02:49 PM

can this be done?

Thank you Mike & Nathan for your replies.

My time spent on the notebook means that really it is the gateway pc but
with the hub it really means that the Dell should be gateway, with it having
two NIC's and all. What I really want is to ditch the hub for a router
meaning I can be selective for any computer and internet connection.

Or do you
mean "client" only for ICS .. in which case you will have the same setup as
me .. and we know that works ......... ?

Taking onboard Mike's point I am going to have a look at the ICS settings
for the notebook, failing a connection there I think that a good idea is to
use the Dell as a gateway. With the physical locations of the things it
means a bit of swapping around from room to room. Never mind!

Thanks both again