WiFi Card suggestions

Old July 30th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Default WiFi Card suggestions

Hi

I've just bought a Dell CPx J 750GT and want to pop a WiFi card into it.
Does anyone have any experience of any of the suppliers, I have looked at
Netgear, D-Link, Belkin and Intel and can't see much difference. It will be
used with my Netgear wireless ADSL router but also hopefully in WiFi
hotspots here and in New York. I'll be running Win2K.

Cheers

Ronan

Old July 30th 03, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

"Dantes" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi

I've just bought a Dell CPx J 750GT and want to pop a WiFi card into it.
Does anyone have any experience of any of the suppliers, I have looked at
Netgear, D-Link, Belkin and Intel and can't see much difference. It will

be
used with my Netgear wireless ADSL router but also hopefully in WiFi
hotspots here and in New York. I'll be running Win2K.

Cheers

Ronan

I am running the Netgear WG511 for three months now with excellent reception

Old July 31st 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

"Dantes" [email protected] wrote in message

Hi

Thanks for that
I only have the 11mbs speed at home, is the higher speed card worth

getting?
Will it be better per se than the similar Netgear card which is limited to
11mbs?

Cheers

Ronan

It seems that if you have the 54Mbps and on the system you are logging into,
if someone is using a 11mbps card, the whole system goes to that speed, so
probably better to stay at 11mbps at this moment in time.
I have 56 at home and 11 at work, so the dual card gives me the best of both
worlds, but I would imagine that the 11 is as good as the 56