Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable?

Old July 30th 03, 08:25 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Sherri & Garry January

Default Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable?

I ran a 10Base2 home network (2 computers) for several years but recently
bought new network adapters and decided to switch over to 10BaseT at that
time. A friend told me I could wire the PC's together directly thereby
avoiding the need for a hub. However, he neglected to tell me I would need
to use crossover cable, so I bought FastCat5e networking cable. I couldn't
understand why my network wasn't working until I read this (or another)
newsgroup yesterday and discovered I needed to use a crossover cable if I
wasn't using a hub. Aggghhh! Ok, no big deal except that now I'm a little
strapped for cash and won't be able to afford a hub and more networking
cable for a couple of weeks, and I'm really needing/wanting to get this
network running before then.

Here's my question: Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a
crossover cable by removing then rewiring/replacing the RJ45 connector at
one end of the cable?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Sherri J.

Old July 31st 03, 07:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:25:02 -0500, "Sherri & Garry January"
wrote:

[...]

There is an adaptor you can buy that converts a straight cable to a
cross-over. Mine cost 2.50 last year at a comp fair. It's just a small
female to male adaptor ( about an inch long ) that has the relevent
connections crossed. You just put it on one end of your cable and plug it
into your lan connector, I bought a couple at the time, as it means I can
use any cable at any time.

Here's link to show you what they look like

http://www.hackerscomputersupplies.c...Xover_Plug.jpg

Clansman

Old July 31st 03, 08:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

wrote:

[...]

here's another link for an X-over adaptor with price etc

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...s_id=346&ref=9

the tiny URL for it is

http://tinyurl.com/ili2

Clansman

Old October 26th 03, 10:39 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

"Sherri & Garry January" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You can do it with a bit of chocolate block connector or buy a cross over
adaptor , or use an oridinary extension adpator with a short crossover patch
cable you can get these from Maplin or even the big B&Q megastores.

However you can buy a 4 or 5 port switched hub with DHCP for about 15
pounds these days and a quick look under computer networking on ebay might
turn up one for less than that --- A bit of a culture shock I can
remember when a dumb 8 port hub cost hundreds of pounds.

Old October 27th 03, 09:47 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

For startes just click the following links & you'll be HALF way to your
goal:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm
http://mreriksson.net/miscdocs/tpcable/
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5028202.html

There thta's about all you need...go get youself a couple of RJ-45 plugs &
you're home...

"AWM" wrote in message

[...]

Old October 27th 03, 03:17 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Cisco_Kid

Here's a quick fix for you...

Take your cat5 pacth cord and cut it in half. Then you can re-wire the pairs
together to make it a cross-over cable without the need to re-terminate an
RJ45 (although that is the best way to do it). Do you know your color codes?
If not, here's how you would re-wire your cable...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (pin numbers)
w/o o/w w/g bl/w w/bl g/w w/br br/w re-wire these colors to these
colors...
w/g g/w w/o bl/w w/bl o/w w/r br/w

All you are doing is swapping pins 1&2 with pins 3&6

Cheers,

Cisco_Kid

"AWM" wrote in message

[...]

Old October 27th 03, 08:42 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Sherri & Garry January" wrote in message
Here's my question: Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a
crossover cable by removing then rewiring/replacing the RJ45 connector

at
one end of the cable?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Sherri J.

3.99 from Maplin for crossover adaptor

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...3&Pr oducts=1

Old October 27th 03, 10:34 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Anonymous Joe

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
"Sherri & Garry January" wrote in message
Here's my question: Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a
crossover cable by removing then rewiring/replacing the RJ45 connector

at
one end of the cable?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Sherri J.

3.99 from Maplin for crossover adaptor

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...385&moduleno=3
2423&Products=1

If you have cable making tools, a crimper and a plastic RJ45 end is really
all you need, along with a razor blade to take off the plastic cover, then
yes, you can cut the end off of a straight cable and rewire it into a
crossover cable.

You would normally wire a straight-thur as 12345678 & 12345678. The
crossover has one end the same, so one side doesnt need to be changed. The
other you have to rewire as 36145278. You can see that 4,5,7,8 stay the
same, as they aren't actually used.

If you dont have a crimper, and still dont feel like waiting for a crossover
adaptor, you could try this:

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Old October 28th 03, 04:28 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
CJT

Anonymous Joe wrote:

[...]

With drop cables (including crossover) as cheap as they are, it rarely
pays to homebrew, IMHO.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
Old October 29th 03, 04:24 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Chuck

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:28:29 GMT, CJT wrote:

With drop cables (including crossover) as cheap as they are, it rarely
pays to homebrew, IMHO.

I'd second that. If you need the high performance of Cat5e, you need
a reliable network connection. I roll my own sometimes for custom
length cables, but if you're talking about a $10 crossover, just buy
it. Much more reliable.

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!