Am I a muppet, or is my network screwed...

Old July 31st 03, 02:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

Default Am I a muppet, or is my network screwed...

Two computers set up as follows

Ntl Broadband (USB)---WXP Pro---W98---Printer

Everything hunky dory on WXP box. But W98 has a problem with the internet
connection sharing. It doesn't work. The computer's giving it an IP of
169.254.xxx.xxx, with the common network settings of "assign IP
automatically, disable DNS, disable WINS resolution". When I specify an IP
of 198.162.0.2, file sharing works, but ICS does not. So it's not the
firewall (NIS) on the XP box.

I used to have the ICS working fine, on 168.192.0.227 (don't know why this
IP, was 168.192.0.2 before I reinstalled), but I turned it on one day, and
it wouldn't work. I ran "winipcfg" and tried releasing renewing the lease.
It turned up with the 169.254.xxx.xxx IP. Then I tried it and it stopped for
a while, and I did ctrl-alt-del, and I got "not responding", so I ended it.
I tried it again, but this time I left it. I got a message saying "Error -
Could not find DCHP server - renewing adapter".

This is really driving me crazy, I don't know how to fix it. And it seems by
some of the other posts on this group, I'm not the only one. Any advice on
how to fix?

Marcus

Old July 31st 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Marcus Fox wrote:
[...]

Have you checked the XP machine is still set to receive and IP address
automatically?
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old July 31st 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Marcus Fox"
wrote in :

[...]

Try he

BRG
===
http://www.brgservices.co.uk/
Old July 31st 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Discovered it's a problem on my XP box. I unshared my connection, and hoping
to reset it, reshared it, but I got an error message. I tried to repair the
network connection, but I got an error repair failed "Cannot renew IP
address".

How to proceed now?

Marcus