98% fact-free novice requests 2 x PCs / router / hub guidance

Old July 31st 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Default 98% fact-free novice requests 2 x PCs / router / hub guidance

Herbert wrote:

Ok, I've actually figured out quite a lot about PCs, but networking
still looks like knitting instructions to me.

Alllllll I want to do is to connect two PCs, for filesharing at least,
and both to an ADSL router. The last bit was easy: an ethernet card
each and a cat5 cable from each to the router.

I understand tables are not crossover, whereas hooking up two PCs
usually does require a crossover cable.

Only if you are connecting the NICs directly together with no
intervening hub or switch.

For starters, I can't figure
out how those two requirements can be met. I'm guessing I need to
introduce a hub into the equation, but can't figure out where what how
with.

As you have both PCs connected to the router, it is presumably one of
the ones which contains a built in hub or switch, or it would only have
one socket. So it seems to me that you have already connected them
together.

Can they ping each other? Use winipcfg (98) or ipconfig (XP) to find out
what IP addresses they have been assigned.

Regards, Ian
Old August 1st 03, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Herbert

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:49:18 +0100, Ian Northeast
wrote:

Herbert wrote:

[...]

Is that so.?

The router's a Netgear DG814, and has four sockets (plus the adsl
connection)

Of course, the other PC's not connected right now, so I can't check
out what you suggest, but I'm saving your message for that happy
moment.

It's a

Regards rite back at'cha, Ian.